Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am thinking about getting back into snowmobileing and POlairs is the way i want to go XC 600 or 700 But I have been hearing some bad things about the ves sleds I heard that the first yrs of it up to 2003 or that they had lots of problems with them. Have to buy special oil and that they have a tendice to burn up pistons. So I thought what better place to get good info than here I know that I will be able to get the stright scoop. Suppose won't matter much if we don't get some snow soon As won't be any rideing done. Thanks everyone for any help that you can give me. I Have not had a sled in yrs. last one was a 97 xc 500.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Most problems I have heard of are 800's and a few 700's. I have an 03 600 and have zero issues with the ves system. Use a good quality oil , keep the valves clean and you shouldn't have any problems.

PS. Are you sure about the 97 xc 500??

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
No issues with ves on my part. Keep em clean.
Don't necesarly need special oil. I know people that use the blue oil and just clean them every 800-1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The 800 were the major ves problems and the odd 700. If you look after it you want have any problems. I recommend to stay away from the 900s for now, they aren't the best sled to get back in to the sport and some do have seversl major problems. Any 600 from '98 to '07 will be just fine, they are fairly reliable and are reasonibly quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Now I have a question on keeping the valves clean. What does that entail? How big of a job is it. Do you have to pull the heads to do that Just goes to show how little I know about this stuff. Thanks Once more for any help I can get.

Jerry

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
This is for the 98 version, but it still applies to the newer one. Except the cap is bolted on instead of held by a wire.
[attachment=50177]

[attachment=50178]

[attachment=50179]

[attachment=50180]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Polaris has had a lot less problems with their exhaust valves designs than have other manufacturers.
Polaris' exhaust valve design is simple (untill recently no electronics) and easy to maintain. Clean the valves every 1,000 miles and dont putt-putt around all the time and you should be fine.
The worst problem I ever had with the valves on my sled is was when I first gotit it had a pinhole in the bellows which caused the one exhaust valve to not open. The valve gummed up so bad that it was really hard to get out. We managed to get it out, cleaned the valve, replaced the bellows and I havent had a problem since.
By the way, you said you had a '97 Polaris XC 500. Polaris never made an XC 500 in '97. They made an Indy 500 and an XC 600, but no XC 500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts