Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the VForce 3 reeds in my 2001 ZR600EFI, according to Moto Tassinari I shouldn't have to rejet the sled, but its idling at 750RPM, thats about half of stock idle. Is there something that I'm missing? Any help will be greatly appreciated![?]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Adjust the idle . . .

Sorry, felt like a smart-arse

·
Registered
777 Posts
i,m sure you thought of this,did you call Moto Tassinari?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I didn't call them, the website says that they wont bother helping with those types of things (in other words)

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The engine will pull more air with the V Force reeds, wich means more power if it gets more fuel. If you have no way of giving the engine the fuel it requires I would take the reeds out before the engine burns down.
The V Force will make more power than the stock reeds but the fuel must be adjusted for them.
I would be afraid of the engine running to lean without recalibrating the fuel delivery.
Engine idle speed is down beause the engine is running rich with the new reeds. But at higher RPM's I am sure it will go lean. Not an easy thing to fix with EFI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that a true or just your opinion, i thought richness was based on oil, not air flow. and if im wrong, what would i need to do to get mroe fule flowin? change the jets to a bigger size? Moto Tassinari says that doesnt need to be done.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I am inclined to agree with Erick, don't think the guys I Japan will be sending you a new engine if the V's cause a melt down.
One thing is for sure, plugs don't lie, check'em.
Black - Too much fuel, turn it back.
Brown - Just right, hammer down.
White - Too lean, oh what a fright!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
this off there web site

Do you offer any technical support?

We sure do! We have technicians on hand from 8am - 5pm E.S.T Monday through Friday. They can assist you with any installation or other technical questions. To reach our technical department please dial 603.298.6646.

they make no mention if they fit efi or just carb' They say all.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
If you have an EFI, I'm inclined to believe you don't have jets, you have electronic throttle bodies...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i checked the plugs and they arent black or white, they are brown, like they should be. It has to be something with the EFI, because they are supposed to start on 2nd pull every time, and it takes like 5 and then it idles low or stalls out.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Try swapping the stock reed cage back in just to be sure that it's the V's causing the problem.

Another thing is that your EFI might need and good long run to get used to the new atomization. Have you just run it at idle on the stand, or have you really ripped her, and smoked yourself out of the garage?

I did the spark plugs on my van, and it ran like crap for a few blocks till it dialed itself back in.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats teh thing, it idles at about 750 and or stalls out, doesnt even kick over consistantly on the 2nd pull as it should. ill try letting it idle do redial, because youre the 2nd person ive heard that from.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Let it idle yes, but I'd also max the rpm's out for 30 seconds or so.

Be careful though, around here 2 years ago, 2 kids were almost killed by a sled that came blasting through a garage door when it fell off the 2x4 it was proped up on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well its up to about 1000RPM, at times but it bounces all over, kinda boggy though, plugs still look normal so its not runnin lean or anything.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the computer should be adjusting for the changes...that's the whole concept behind efi. Faulty sensor maybe?? Contact Moto Tassinari and find out what they say and if that deosn't help contact black magic. At last resort call a local dealer. Because at least the ones near me have too much of a mindset of STOCK STOCK STOCK!!!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
take the new reeeds off and put it back to stock, see if it runs normal, if it does, u know where ht eproblem is, if u still believe they will work on your sled, try them again but actually run the engine more than idle and check the plugs frequently to make sure your not running to lean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would yank them back out but it was a 6 hour install, its a bitch gettin in there, so im trying to leave everything alone.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The V Force reed will not be calibrated for your sled unless you can change the fuel map. Either with a new chip or a flash program for the EFI. Your sled has a Kokusan system but I don’t know how they reprogram it.
It is true that some EFI systems can compensate for more airflow, but not in your case. They need either an oxygen sensor (which does not work on a two stroke engine because of the oil in the exhaust), or a mass airflow sensor (which your engine does not have).
You engine has a base map that only knows throttle position and RPM. It can adjust this map for air temp, barometer and engine temp. But it has no idea if the engine is getting more air than it was originally calibrated for.
You will see no gain in performance and most likely burn your engine down unless the fuel map is recalibrated for the V Force reeds.
My advice is to pull them out unless you get the correct calibration to go with them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts