Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today and my sled started to vibrate real bad right about under the tank. 2001 ZL 500. I stopped and looked under the tunnel and there was a lot of ice but I dont think that would have caused it. It starts real bad around 45-50 and it gets worse as I go faster, 75-80 is were it is the worst. I was thinking that maybe the track was loose but I am not sure. Dont know how to check. Or maybe something with those plastic gears that drive the track?? <<I am just guessing based on thats were I think the vibration is coming from. Any info would help.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
does your speedo still work?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
to check the track u jack the back end up. spin the track urself or let it drive for a momnet. then u go to the very back and with two fingers in each hand grab the track and pull back. if one side pulls back farther then th other side then tighten up ur adjuster bolts.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
make sure you didnt flat spot your belt, they tend to create a lot of vibration in that area too..

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Check driveshaft & jackshaft bearings. If one of them blew it would vibrate a lot. Especially if it does it worse as you go faster.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If its an intermittent thump like thump-thump-thump...............-thump-thump-.............thump its your track ratcheting around your drive cogs. if thats not the case Check if your speedo still works, thats a dead giveaway to a shot jackshaft bearing. when it goes it shears the speedo key and boop, no speedo. also check to see that the bearing behind your secondary clutch is still intact. see if you can wiggle the secondary up and down. Otherwise my $.02 is a flat spot in the belt or your rear skid is cracking up on ya.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]Check driveshaft & jackshaft bearings. If one of them blew it would vibrate a lot. Especially if it does it worse as you go faster.
This would be my guess also!^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Did you figure it out?

My sled vibrates too.. but I am missing a little section out of the side of my track from a stupid pick ripping out, that will do it !

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine has does this twice right before the belt disintegrated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
quote:

Check driveshaft & jackshaft bearings. If one of them blew it would vibrate a lot. Especially if it does it worse as you go faster.

This would be my guess also!^^^^^^^^
i would check those bearings before you do any more driving.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The belt is brand new, so I dont think that that is the problem. It migth be racheting, but wouldnt that happen when I accelerate only? And it is not a thumping but more of a high frecuency vibration. I will deffinatly check those bearings, is there a grease point for them because I have never hit it with the grease gun. How do I check them, will I have to take the whole drive shaft out to look at them? I just have been waiting for the ice to melt out of the tunnel and off the skid before I could take a real good look at it. Thanx for all of the help.

·
Registered
572 Posts
sounds like a bearing to me. loosen the track, and tip the sled on its side, and reach up under in the front and grab the drive shaft, and try to wiggle it on both ends. might be worn enough that you will have slop in it. just my .02.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My buddies 99 ZL 500 had the same problem last year. The chain adjuster broke inside the chain case and there was no tension on the chain. The chain eventually wore a hole in chain case cover.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Does sound like a driveshaft bearing. If it that far gone that its making noise, grease won't do a thing. Replacement time.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its not making noise as far as I can tell, I couldn't really hear over the engine.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Originally posted by SKILIE301
[br]The belt is brand new, so I dont think that that is the problem. It migth be racheting, but wouldnt that happen when I accelerate only? And it is not a thumping but more of a high frecuency vibration. I will deffinatly check those bearings, is there a grease point for them because I have never hit it with the grease gun. How do I check them, will I have to take the whole drive shaft out to look at them? I just have been waiting for the ice to melt out of the tunnel and off the skid before I could take a real good look at it. Thanx for all of the help.
if its anything like a polaris there IS greese points for those bearings, those are just about the most important ones to...

sounds just like the bearing is shot, take it out and spin it to check for a rough feel. those usually go out on me about ever 2k miles.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
There grease fitting really doesn't grease the bearing, it is more for the speedo. That bearing is a sealed bearing.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Anyone thought of his track being out of alignment? Also the track will hum if it is loose but not quite to the point of ratcheting. See how much track slack you have.

·
Registered
702 Posts
[br]Check driveshaft & jackshaft bearings. If one of them blew it would vibrate a lot. Especially if it does it worse as you go faster.
That was my guess.. the 4 main bearings. OR check your belt. I ran into the same problem a few weekends ago.

Started off with bad vibrating and got worse and worse.
search "A Costly Weekend".

Thats my story and info/thoughts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It sounds like either a jack shaft bearing, or it could also be worn bushings in the secondary, or even a sloppy key way on the jack shaft. If it's a drive axle bearing the vibration is usually noticed in the running boards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts