Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a video clip of when i ate it in my first round heat race. first lap. i'm in the blue pants to the right side of the starting line. these may take a little bit to load up, kinda long.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Videos/Racing/200612112054_4198.mov

in yesterdays post i said that the video for my final was no good, i was wrong, that was the video from my second round heat race. here's the video of my final, i'm on the far right side of the starting line.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Videos/Racing/20061211192924_4198.mov

here's the thread from yesterday for anyone who wants to catch up.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59116

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
it if dont hurry up and load im gunna cancel it. [:p]

·
Registered
476 Posts
yea mean either it just said wat do u want to use to open the file then i hit windows media and it didnt work

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are quicktime files.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]it if dont hurry up and load im gunna cancel it. [:p]
the first one is 53mb and the second is over 100mb save them to your computer and come back in a few minutes! they are relatively long videos.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are some stills taken from video

[galleryattach=13416]

[galleryattach=13417]

[galleryattach=13418]

[galleryattach=13419]

[galleryattach=13420]

[galleryattach=13421]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
u were in what forth, very good, too bad for that wipe, nice job man keep it up

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was in 5th when i went up the hill, then passed someone. then ate it lol. that was the round 1 heat race.

in the video of the final i was neck and neck with someone right at the end, you can see i'm actually just ahead of him in the last corner. i kinda know that guy, i probably would have had him but i got hung up in a nasty hole at the end of the last corner and couldnt' accelerate cleanly out of it so he passed me. he's been racing for like 5 years. so with some more experience and some more suspension i think i'll do OK.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Looks like a blast!

I am by no means an expert, but here are a couple tips from what I saw in the video/pics:

1. Since you are so tall you need to have your feet a little farther back, and/or a bigger riser. It will be much more comfortable in the air and on landings.

2. Pre-load the suspension by landing just as you are wacking the throttle. Watch the pro's. Every time they land, they get on it just a split second before they land. This does three things: first, it stiffens the suspension and makes the landing less harsh. 2nd it converts your downward energy into forward energy, making you faster. 3rd, since the sled scoots forward as it lands, instead of slowing down, you won't have that face-to-the-handlebars jarring landing feeling that I saw you felt numerous times in the 2nd video.

3. The way you came up the face of that jump was perfect. If you woulda just let up just as you crested the lip you woulda doubled it just right gaining alot of ground. But alas you got the rear end to drop by leaving the throttle on a little and you know what happens then :) You can get away with doing that on the smaller jumps but the big ones you really gotta get a feel for them. see if you can find a good tabletop (natural or manmade) to practice on, it will help alot.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input ripperd. i knew ahead of time that i just don't have much control in the big jump department. that's why i was trying to practice getting better with jumps on the woodchips with Sickler. everything else is fine i actually was able to gain ground on a bunch of those guys when i wasn't on the side of the track with the downhill and that one big double.

everything you said makes sense and is pretty much what i had in my head. time and practice, that's what i need. also thinking about possibly heavier spring rate if i can find them for the front and/or stiffer valving in the shocks all the way around. gonna have to research it all. i still have one more notch i can go up on the rear springs.

also i agree i'd like to get the bars up higher. and i really need to get myself in better shape.

watching the pros i noticed what you were talking about hitting it before landing. seemed to me that speed off the jump made a big difference too. more forward motion instead of just getting up in the air and falling flat. i definately held the throttle too long when i pulled the front up and ate it. i don't remember if i even tried to grab the brake, happened fast and i wasn't ready for it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey very good on your first race! Definately get a taller riser, and yeah I would look into getting stiffer valving and/or springs. I wouldnt put too much money into it though, most likely your gonna want to move to an IQ fairly soon and that one would need the stiffer valving too most likely.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Uberacer
[br]Hey very good on your first race! Definately get a taller riser, and yeah I would look into getting stiffer valving and/or springs. I wouldnt put too much money into it though, most likely your gonna want to move to an IQ fairly soon and that one would need the stiffer valving too most likely.
thanks man. i gotta do some searching. haven't seen any heavier front springs for it yet. the revalving wouldn't be too bad.

also gotta do some math and figuring. i kinda want to turn this pro-xr into a trail sled after i'm done racing it. which means i'd sell my 800xc. i have to contemplate the possibility of selling the 800 sooner than planned, converting this pro-xr into a trail sled with a bigger motor, and finding a different newer used race sled. either IQ or rev.

pit-x for this coming weekend has been cancelled so i'm off until i think january 20th.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]thanks man. i gotta do some searching. haven't seen any heavier front springs for it yet. the revalving wouldn't be too bad.
Put some IQ 440 springs on there. I put a stock set off an 05 on my 04 and they feel alot stiffer (havent riden it). I don't know the actual spring rate difference but the coils on the IQ's are alot thicker, and not progressive.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]thanks man. i gotta do some searching. haven't seen any heavier front springs for it yet. the revalving wouldn't be too bad.
Put some IQ 440 springs on there. I put a stock set off an 05 on my 04 and they feel alot stiffer (havent riden it). I don't know the actual spring rate difference but the coils on the IQ's are alot thicker, and not progressive.
i thought about that, how much longer are the IQ springs? same diameter?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
thanks for the input ripperd? are you kidding me. he didnt think of that stuff. it was out of a mag with tips from the pros section. have you seen ripperd ride? I mean come on. we went trail riding once and it was like laurel and hardy without the laurel. or larry moe and currly go sledding without larry and moe. not to spill the beans here but just so you know that isnt ripperd in his avatar. its a choice in your profile.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nice vids man. Not bad for a first time at all. If we don't start getting some white stuff, I'm gonna start checking out these races more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts