Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll! I've been surfing around youtube lately and i came across an old ski-doo elan with a 440cc racing motor in it that could crack the skis with a quick crack of the throttle. I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of a racing motor into a vintage (70's to 80's) chassis swap before, or if any of you has ever done it because I'm interested in doing it with some friends. We're all mechanical engineering students in college. I may sound completely foolish right now since this swap has probably been done countless numbers of times, but any help or information would be appreciated! I can't get the thought a 3/4 snowmobile with enough power to lift the skis and ditchbang anywhere i want out of my head! Thanks [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Back in the day we put a johnson 440 twin engine into a 1970 skidoo 250 sled it ripped and yes it would pull the skis off the ground fairly easy. We did it with out a welder just made some new engine mounts drilled some holes lined up the clutches and she was alive. A newer 440 race engine will fight a little bit harder though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
97xlt600 said:
Back in the day we put a johnson 440 twin engine into a 1970 skidoo 250 sled it ripped and yes it would pull the skis off the ground fairly easy. We did it with out a welder just made some new engine mounts drilled some holes lined up the clutches and she was alive. A newer 440 race engine will fight a little bit harder though.
Thats basically what im looking to do ! I wanna get a sled with a narrow ski stance and a high enough center of gravity that i can tip it basically by turning around haha... and the 440 motor to crack the skis. All you did though was drill new engine mounts? What makes you say a newer one would be harder? Sorry for my questions haha im just really curious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
powersledder said:
I have most of the parts to do it, and I've thought about it, but I was going to go with a free air TX chassis.
Whats a free air tx chassis?

TeamCrackitRacing said:
powersledder said:
I have most of the parts to do it, and I've thought about it, but I was going to go with a free air TX chassis.
Whats a free air tx chassis?
oops nvm lol polaris. I don't know many old sleds.... and how come?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44U-3XfHAk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Why a race 440? polaris 440 race liquids are anything but reliable. a newer 550 fan polaris would be plenty of power for an old sled, hooking up coolers would be a pita.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
i say go Elan with a big ass motor. only problem is beefing up the chaincase, and driveshaft. Elan driveshafts are hollow and can snap the splines right off fairly easy.

550 fanner out of a prowler or something would be an awesome choice. i would also try to fit a slide rail suspension in it too, not only are the old bogie setups a pita the maintain, but they dont have much travel or work very well at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gto0209 said:
Why a race 440? polaris 440 race liquids are anything but reliable. a newer 550 fan polaris would be plenty of power for an old sled, hooking up coolers would be a pita.
I was thnking a race 440 because of the way they are built and clutched, and even if you run lower combustion heads to run on pump gas they still have a shitload of torque. And I want it to be able to crack the skis, and I feel like a fan cooled 550 just woouldnt have the torque if clutched properly. Also, technically couldn't somebody just hook up a small radiator on the front of a snowmobile to cool the liquid? It wouldnt need to have a full heat exchanger persay so it shouldnt be too hard to cool. I was thinking fabricate a 440 into the "engine bay", and make a mount for a radiator in the front similar to what the new z1 turbo has :p Im not really looking too much for reliability haha, the sled is being built on the cheap

ilive4snow700 said:
i say go Elan with a big ass motor. only problem is beefing up the chaincase, and driveshaft. Elan driveshafts are hollow and can snap the splines right off fairly easy.

550 fanner out of a prowler or something would be an awesome choice. i would also try to fit a slide rail suspension in it too, not only are the old bogie setups a pita the maintain, but they dont have much travel or work very well at all.
Do you think the 550 fanner has a broad enough powerband for catwalking capabilites though? I feel like its way too heavy. what did the elans have like 250s? its probably 5 times the power i just feel like fans dont have much torque even if clutched right. Haha and idc about the suspension its gotta look fairly stock and im fine with riding a piece of plywood[thumb]
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top