Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOw well would a vintage snowmobile do in deeper powder. Say a olympique 300 i know its old and not powerful but its light as heck.?

·
Registered
47 Posts
those old ski-duds did have long tracks compared to their size i guess. depends on the rider and the density of the powder. an old elan prob would do better, its even smaller. try it and let us know.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well they got as much snow back then as they doo (pardon the pun)now. I bet they couldnt resist the powder then either. Its mostly the rider.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well part of it is the rider but for example i have a skidoo tundra 250 which has a longer track and extremely light, and i could throw it around so easy its amazing, but no matter what in any powder you have to have full throttle or your going down, my 440 on the other hand does not handle powder very well, ohh and dont try to carve it doesnt work. Just pick your battles when it comes to going through deep snow!! (and take a tow rope with you just incase) have fun!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The old Elans were fun in the deep. The tracks started way in the front, on the ground inbetween the skis. I used to have one when I was a kid...

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
One of my friends has an old Elan that was his first sled and I still have my '70 Nordic and I will say that those two sleds are just awesome to ride in light powder. That Nordic just barrels through so that you cant even see the hood because of all the snow going over the sled. But the Elan is so light that it will jump right on top of the powder and you can almost cat-walk it for a while. But the best part is that when you get stuck you can lift them right out of the hole because they're so light[:D] I think the 1970's Olympiques only weighed like 300 lbs

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep, have a yammy ss440 that I like to play with and its light and goes good in the lt powder, easy recovery when stuck and it carves too just gotta watch the throttle control on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts