Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^That is sorta' what I thought(20 years), but that would make a 1990 machine just turning vintage.

That's why I wondered if there are classifications? Late 80's & 90's just does not seem old enough to me even though that may qualify it as "vintage". Do things like, suspension have a factor in their grouping also?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
In MN a car needs to be 20 years to qualify for "collector" plates so 20 would be the logical answer. "Vintage" sleds don't have titles or any of that either (so keep em' locked up good)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cool that means I have two vintage sleds. [thumb]

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobinwi said:
to me vintage sleds are sleds made before 1980.

That's how I feel also. If I was to purchase a machine as a vintage sled, I think I would want a 70's machine or earlier.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think that in racing now "Vintage" is 1982 and older but don't qoute me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
I have a 79 SkiDoo Alpine 640 fanner i picked her up for $100
Then my dad has a 81 Kawasaki Invader LTD 4/6 that he got for $250
The Alpine is the twin track with the big ski in front right?

·
Registered
453 Posts
to me vintage sleds are sleds made before 1980.
That's what I think. The oil crisis of this time killed off tons of the odd ball sled makers and left pretty much what we have now.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
^ Right she isn't the prettiest gal but she sure is fun to ride
[thumb]That's what I thought. My friend just finished restoring one. I need to get some pics of it for you to see. I was not sure on the name though. He said he did get to ride it this winter and that it would go anywhere:)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
According to the Minnesota DNR vintage is a snowmobile that is 25 years or older.

What gets even more picky is what is the difference between a vintage snowmobile and an antique snowmobile.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm asking these questions because myself and a couple other friends really would like to go on a vintage ride this next season even if is just us. I have heard these rides are a blast.

I have the following two machines I want to have running and lookin' spiffy over the spring and Summer.

1973 Yamaha GP-433B

1977 Ski-doo Elan 250 Deluxe

Do any SF vintage rides exist or has it been done?

If not...
It would be neat to put a couple SF vintage rides together this next season in different areas of the snow belt. Something to think about?

·
Registered
863 Posts
to me i think vintage sleds are the first sleds made, up to about 1960's

1 - 20 of 36 Posts