Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I currently own a 03 SXViper and I love it. My buddy has a 05 Renegade 800. When we race it all depends on who hooks up. I'll win one then he'll win one. I want to do some mods to my sled to smoke him everytime. Everyone says that pipes are the best way to go but I have also heard that vipers aren't very reliable with pipes(unless they're are tuned right) . Also I don't have a large budget. Help, please!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yamaha Stock tracks basically suck. Order a new track, like a 1" lug. Maybe even with studs. You'll hook up and smoke him for sure. Then after the track I'd worry about other mods. Some people like going with pipes, but I'd start with clutching. You'll only probably spend 500 on a track, and if your lucky even less. Just try ebay because some dealers sell brand new tracks with studs installed at the factory. My sled has the same problem and Its basically the same sled, just that I have a smaller motor.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Id start with a clutch kit. If you have stock clutching, you will see a signifigant improvement with a clutch kit.
You could go with pipes, but they do lessen reliability. Unlike the SRX, which will run for thosandsands and thousands of miles without even so much as a hiccup (because the engine is designed for triple pipes), the Viper isnt designed for pipes and many Vipers motors have failed because of triple pipes.
You can get a track for a lot less than $500. I recently bought a 1.25" Ripsaw from TracksUSA and it only cost me about $300. Id go with a 1" fully clipped Hacksaw over a Ripsaw though. The 1.25" lug cant stand up to lots of high-speed riding.
Id start with clutching and then work on getting your sled to transfer weight right. If you want a better track, you can go that route but unless your stock track is due to be replaced I wouldnt spend the money on a track.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My track hooks up just fine at the moment. I raced my buddy across a field with about 1 foot of snow and he only beat me of the line by a sled length or so. His track is a 136 w/ 1.5 lugs. If I decide to clutch my sled will I lose any top end? I have been looking at a single pipe for a viper but I don't know if it is going to make that much of a difference. Also I know I could lose a lot of weight by getting rid of that heavy silencer, but the cops would be able to hear me coming.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Clutching will actually gain you performance in all rpm ranges.
I think Bender makes a single pipe for the Viper that uses the stock silencer. Not sure how much hp it gains you though.(but most single pipes only gain you about 3-5 hp, which is a waste of money IMO)
You could reduce the weight of the sled by losing the stock silencer, but like you say, the po-po would probably hassle you about noise.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
LOL Yeah right. They have radios and sooner or later they would catch you. Trust me, I know. I know a guy who tried to outrun the cops on his ATV. He led them on a 45 minute chase and they eventually caught him. He ended up almost getting a felony out of it, but because he was going in the military they cut him a lot of slack (had to serve a little jail time and paid a HUGE fine).
Running from the cops isnt worth it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know. I'm not that stupid. Even though I now I could get away everyone in town nows who I am and which sled I drive so I'd be screwed. What clutch kit do you recommend? I was wondering about porting. Is it worth the money? Will I blow the motor?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I dont know about the porting, but in my area police really dont give a rats rear about the actual loudness of the sled you drive, just keep it low through residential areas and if you see a trail cop. I think a can would get you SOME better power, although im not really sure. Clutching will do wonders, and if your track hooks up then that is good. I think porting isnt as effective on a snowmobile than it is on a dirtbike or somthing like that unless its perfect. Im not too sure, but I think its got to exact in each cylinder or else you'll have problems. Unless you've got the big bucks to send your jugs out to a company.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yeah, youd outrun the cops and think youre all big 'n bad and when you got home they would be waiting for you in your driveway.
Porting is a waste of time on your Viper because it has exhaust valves. Variable exhaust gives you optimum port height at all times.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, all the cops in my town are pretty cool except for this one chick. One of the cool cops once stopped me and my buddies because we were jumping across a road. As she pulled up I jumped right in front of her and she stopped me and said that she would be right back with her video camera. good times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
clutch it properly not with a packaged kit and set up the suspension as well. If he beats you sometimes and you beat him sometimes a few simples inexpensive mods may make you win all the time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any suggestions on where to start. Should I be looking at springs, helix, etc.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
clutch it get the triple pipes and taek teh time to tune it properly you cang et up to 150hp with triple pipes on the viper.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by Viper17
[br]any suggestions on where to start. Should I be looking at springs, helix, etc.
get an epi clutch kit, as stated above get a different track i'd saw a 1inch lug put 140-144 1.25inch studs, put some triple pipse on it and your set to go.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just looking at a set of aftermarket heads. I heard that the stock heads don't have the best circulation. I figure if I do it right I can get pipes without burning it up. I will have to spend the money to do it right but from what I hear it is worth it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am pretty sure your thinking a little too deep into this situation. Start with clutching, And then go with an aftermarket can. And If all you care about is beating one sled in a drag, then setup your suspension so your skis stay plastered to the ground when you hit that throttle. If you still lose, Than who cares because you still have a fast ass sled. If you really want, you could get a good 121" track for around 300 bucks new. go on ebay and search it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now I am just working on the clutch and aftermarket can. All of the other mods will be coming this summer when I have some money. We raced again this weekend and I beat him once and he beat me once. When I beat him I killed him of the line and then he started to catch up to me top end which doesn't usually happen. I went to take of right after the race and my belt blew. That belt was pretty worn so I am guessing that why he was catching me top end. I would like to try and find a used can because new they are 200-250.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a buddy with an '02 and he has the full Bender Racing kit, have you checked into that? Upgraded and clocked at 118, which you can get more out of but it will be plenty fast off the start and it gets up quick. Let us know what you decide to do, good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by phzr
[br]I have a buddy with an '02 and he has the full Bender Racing kit, have you checked into that? Upgraded and clocked at 118, which you can get more out of but it will be plenty fast off the start and it gets up quick. Let us know what you decide to do, good luck!

this is the way I`m going. bender sells the whole set up for $1028.00Complete Bender Triple-Pipe Package
Includes Bender Triple Pipes, Head Gasket, Heat Exchanger, and Jet Kit

here`s where i found mine.
http://www.mcbperformance.com/viper.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts