Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for any info on the above...Pipes, HP/Quiet/Quality/Reliability/etc. Just like anyone else I want the best bang for my buck.

Jaws/SLP/Bender/Speedwerx/Aaen/PSI ?? Which one, and WHY ?

Going from an SRX to a Viper S. (I want triple pipes....and a new sled)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Darth call Jeff Simon @ CPR Computer Pipe Research. This guy is great to talk to about performance parts. I have a set of his pipes on my viper they pull real good. Ask him about compression reduction this is what prevents the motor from burning down. Send him your head let him reduce your compression you won't regret it. 2200 miles still running great! 414-698-6611

·
Registered
528 Posts
Grab a cup of coffee and put on your reading glasses!

http://www.totallyamaha.net/vbul2php3/vbulphp3/showthread.php3?s=c95fc120125307399616e955d446adbd&threadid=3805

·
Registered
528 Posts
rpmccabe,

Nice Pipes!!

Kinda off topic but I noticed your skid plate. Here's a picture of my Viper skid plate after I cut it out around the radius rods. It keeps the snow out of your face, Yamaha sells them this way now.

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/skid2-small.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Canuck I read your post. I have never seen any info about trimming the area around the radius rods to prevent snow dust. Maybe I should try this where did you find this info?

/snofan/../images/users/rpmccabe/hood.jpg

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
A buddy of mine just had a set of Hawk or Hauk (sp?) pipes installed on his Viper during the end of this last season. He only got about 145 miles on them so far, but loves them. At idle he says they're not much louder than the stock pipe. But when you "get on it", I guess they really scream. Of course he had the jetting, clutching, and additional rear heat exchanger installed as well. Said the pipes made a huge difference in mid range and top end.

Just another brand of pipes for you to consider.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I like the simons pipes, i can sell simons, slp, than other companys clutching as well but the simons pipes seem to be more of a personal built, like jeff cares more than other makers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
rpmccabe,

There really isn't much information on trimming them. I know a few people who have done it. If you look on the Yamaha USA web site you will see that they are now trimming their plates the same way.

I used masking tape to mark the cuts and then cut it with a jig saw with a fine tooth blade. It took my time and it tuned out quite nice.

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/skid1.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/skid3.JPG

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/skid4.JPG

·
Registered
528 Posts
rpmccabe,

Something else you may want to consider with that extra HP you're making is a 3-bolt SRX front motor mount. Some have had a problem with the bolts shearing off with the 2-bolt Viper mount. I purchased an SRX bracket and the extra bolt for under $10. I'm also going to install the Yamaha torque link.

You can just see the open bolt hole in the lower right of the photo. If you have a Viper ER the electric starter bolts to the extra hole and you can't use the SRX bracket.
/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/DSCF0009-engine.JPG

SRX 3-bolt.
/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/DSCF0008-bracket.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Canuck,
Thanks for the reply. I'm am going to trim my skid per your instructions as well as order the SRX mount. I have heard others talk about shearing bolts over on totally Yamaha. When I installed my pipes I purchased the allignment tools from mountain performance. One tool for square the other tool center to center. Words cannot describe how bad both adjustments were off. So bad in fact I had to machine one of the motor mounts to align properly. [red]Check your alignment!![/red]

·
Registered
528 Posts
rpmccabe,

I was going to do that when I install the torque link and motor mount. How do you like the alignment tools from Mountain Performance?

When you install the torque link you set the sheave offset to the SRX spec.

Viper sheave offset
- front side 14mm
- rear side 12mm
(it must be set on an angle to account for engine twist)

SRX sheave offset
- straight 15mm +/- 1.5
(the torque link prevents the twist)

Did you install a rear heat exchanger or the new head gasket on yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Canuck,
The tools from mt. performance are great. The offset distance is milled into a host bar. So you just hold the bar against the rear machined face of the primary clutch and your secondary should fall in perfectly with the face on the bar. If it does not line up shift the motor until it does. As far as angle to compensate for engine twist!!!
I kept mine perfect to the gage. My torque
link is run up butt tight to the engine block. Enough to even start compressing the rubber button. Seemed reasonable at the time? Maybe this coming year I'll put in a small angle to compensate for twist. You asked about heat exchanger - yes installed. Also installed a temp gage from summit racing mounted in a small pod next to the speedo. Temp runs at 145 degrees no matter how hard were running as long as there is good snow. Very loooong speed runs will increase temps obviously. I'm thinking big bore right about now we'll keep you posted. --mac--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RPMCCABE

I hate to sound old but.....What's the noise level like? I love my SRX (Which has stock engine/exhaust) but at times I wish I could hit the MUTE button. One of the things I like about the stock viper it it's quiet. My camp (sled shed) is right on a main trail in VT. and I get a dose of ALL diff noise levels form ALL types of sleds. Don't get me wrong, at times I love the louder sound too....Ulitimately I wish I could flip a switch and go from quiet (stealth) to rude and annoying. I want pipes because I don't want to give up any HP from the 'ol SRX and I am NOT ready to make the switch to a 4-stroke. (Not that I ever will be but I figure the way things are going sooner or later I will have to)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Darth,
My Viper was quiet (ok lets call it within reason)for the first 800 maybe 1000 miles or so. Now they get louder every time I ride it. Don't get me wrong they were ok untill about 1500 miles or so. Now at 2200 miles I feel they are becoming a little much. I ride in Quebec 600 to 800 miles each trip. I'm going to call jeff Simon and ask if the silencers can be repacked. Darth I'm coming off a 99 SRX and I can tell you now you won't be happy with a stock viper at 120hp. Great sled but low hp. Your SRX 143hp or about. Get the viper put on the pipes before you even ride once. You will be happy[:)] -mac-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts