Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has already been posted, but someone is getting email addys from sled sites and sending virus's with the subject "Happy Allowmas" Mine came from the adress [email protected]

I swear I am not making this up. Do not open emails from people you don't know that have attachments. This paticular virus is a bad mutha too.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Good to know.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Post by the webmaster at snowmobileworld.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (Myers Racing Inc @ Oct 22 2002, 12:18 PM)
There is a virus being sent by someone hacking into snowmobile sites and sending the Happy Allhallowmas virus with the user names from the snowmobile sites. I am unaware which site so I am posting it on all of them. I know it is coming from these sites because I recognize some of the names from different sled sites. Just wanted to let everyone know before it happens to them. My virus protection has caught it every time but I constantly am receiving e-mails with the virus daily!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

While a virus could possibly be spread through a web site (only if your web browser has severe vulnerabilities), I can say with certainty it is not coming from SW.

The worm you are talking about is well known now, called the Klez virus. It can affect nearly all Windows systems, but it can't infect a few other OS's including Linux, which is what runs this web site.

The worm does indeed include a mass mailing routine. More information is available below from SOPHOS which were the first to spot the worm. Most commercial AV software now scans for this worm. Update your virus definitions frequently!:

W32/Klez-H
Type
Win32 worm

Description
W32/Klez-H is a Win32 worm that carries a compressed copy of the W32/ElKern-C virus which it drops into the Program Files directory and executes.

W32/Klez-H copies itself into the Windows system directory with a random filename. The filename begins with the characters "wink" and has the extension EXE.

The worm searches for email addresses in the Windows address book and also in files with the extensions TXT, HTM, HTML, WAB, ASP, DOC, RTF, XLS, JPG, CPP, C, PAS, MPG, MPEG, BAK, MP3 and PDF.

The email message "From:" field will contain either one of the addresses found in the search or an address taken from a list inside the virus body.

The worm sends itself using emails with the following characteristics:

Subject line:
The subject line is randomly created using one of the following rules.

A combination of "Hi,", "Hello," "Re:", "Fw:", or nothing

with

"Very", "special", "Happy" or "Have a" as the first part of the sentence

and

"New", "funny", "nice", "humour", "excite", "good", "powful", "WinXP", "IE 6.0" or nothing as the second, arranged in one of the following sentences:

"A %s %s game."
"A %s %s tool."
"A %s %s website."
"A %s %s patch."
"%s %s Allhallowmas"

e.g. "A special powful tool" or "Happy Allhallowmas"

A combination of "W32.Elkern" or "W32.Klez.E" and "removal tools".

e.g. "W32.Klez.E removal tools"

One chosen from the following list:

how are you
let's be friends
darling
so cool a flash,enjoy it
your password
honey
some questions
please try again
welcome to my hometown
the Garden of Eden
introduction on ADSL
meeting notice
questionnaire
congratulations
Sos!
japanese girl VS playboy
look,my beautiful girl friend
eager to see you
spice girls' vocal concert
japanese lass' sexy pictures
Undeliverable mail --
Returned mail --

Worm Klez.E immunity

Message text:
The message text is randomly composed by the worm, and may be left blank.

If the subject line is "Worm Klez.E immunity", then the message text is
"Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm. It's very dangerous by corrupting your files. Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it. We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus. You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC. NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it. If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'. If you have any question,please mail to me."

Attached file:
Randomly named with the extension PIF, SCR, EXE or BAT.

Because the worm uses its own SMTP engine, the message may appear to come from any email address. Some of the messages will have a "From:" field and message text which imply that the message was sent by a major anti-virus vendor (namely Kaspersky, F-Secure, Sophos, Symantec and Trend Micro).

The SMTP server used to send the messages is taken from the value "SMTP Server" of the registry key

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account\Manager\Accounts

When sending email, W32/Klez-H may attach a randomly chosen file from the infected computer with the extension TXT, HTM, HTML, WAB, ASP, DOC, RTF, XLS, JPG, CPP, C, PAS, MPG, MPEG, BAK, MP3, or PDF. This means that the worm may cause the disclosure of confidential company data.

W32/Klez-H attempts to disable several anti-virus software products and to delete some anti-virus related files.

The worm attempts to exploit a MIME and an IFRAME vulnerability in some versions of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer to allow the executable file to run automatically without the user double-clicking on the attachment. Microsoft has issued a patch which secures against this vulnerability which can be downloaded from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-027. (This patch was released to fix a number of vulnerabilities in Microsoft's software, including the one exploited by this worm.)

W32/Klez-H may also spread to remote shares on other machines using random filenames. The dropped files may have a double extension formed by using a combination of extensions randomly taken from the two lists. The first extension is taken from the following list:

TXT
HTM
HTML
WAB
ASP
DOC
RTF
XLS
JPG
CPP
C
PAS
MPG
MPEG
BAK
MP3
PDF

The second extension is taken from:

PIF
SCR
EXE
BAT

For example, the double extension may be .txt.exe.

W32/Klez-H will add a value "wink<random>" to registry run command, so that the dropped file will run on Windows startup:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

Additionally the worm will attempt to disable anti-virus software by stopping any of the following processes,

_AVP32
_AVPCC
NOD32
NPSSVC
NRESQ32
NSCHED32
NSCHEDNT
NSPLUGIN
NAV
NAVAPSVC
NAVAPW32
NAVLU32