Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the voltage for electric visors? Is it AC or DC voltage? I want to hook up a connection for my GPS to run off my visor connection (at the handlebar). It has a cigarette adapter which I use in the car and I want to know if they would be compatible connections. I am going to make an adapter to go from the RCA type plug for the visor to a cigarette socket for the GPS.

Thanks.
1997 XLT SP

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd say DC too.... A caution though... I'm not sure how good it would be for your GPS to runoff a snowmobile's electrric system just because the current is no where as consistent as that which comes out of your cigarette lighter socket in your car. ut a volt meter on it and see how much the voltage changes as you change the throtle.....then do the same thing on your car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely DC voltage.

If you have a battery in your sled, then you'll be just fine, I'm not sure how well the GPS will work without one, because there's a definite variation of voltage... if it were my GPS, I'd email the manufacturer with the readings on that volt meter & they can tell you if it's safe or not.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check what voltage your GPS runs at. Sometimes car adapters have a resistor to reduce voltage to the proper value. Take a look at your batteries in your GPS for the total voltage needed. Also take note of the polarity of the connection, this should be found where you plug in your adapter. It will show a small circle with a dot in the center, then a line attached to both with a negative ( - ) and/or positive ( + ) if you don't get these right you may damage your GPS. Also, yes it is DC.
You could install a lighter plug in your key panel, and hook that up to the power source and just plug in your adapter. But Night Train may be right about the lower voltage when your sled is running at a low rpm. When your sled idles there may not be enough voltage to keep the GPS running. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless the manufactures have done something fancy recently the lighting coil produces AC for sure. Their voltage regulators are pretty basic stuff,if they have a half wave rectifier which I doubt then you end up with one side of a sine wave. Now to a volt meter this may look like DC but it won't look like DC to an oscilliscope. It will look like a half wave AC. The frequency will be all over the map depending on engine RPM It could also have a bunch of harmonics in it.

Now light bulbs and heated visors don't care about AC or DC they only care about voltage.

Electronics, now that is another matter they don't like voltage fluctuations, harmonics, and frequency changes.
So what is wrong with buying a bunch of double "A's". The clue is keep them warm, keep your GPS in an inside pocket on your jacket.
I buy them by the 24 pack at a battery store for less than a $1.00 each. The local drugs store charges about $2.00 for the same battery.
Now if your machine has a battery that changes things completly, batteries can't store harmonics, or AC they clean up all the junk that electonics don't like.

Old Cheetah.

Do what you do best and leave the rest to others.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent this off to Garmin to see what their thoughts are. No response yet. I do have an OEM Garmin vehicle adapter, it has an inline fuse to take care of current spikes, but you are right about the battery "nighttrain". I've got the same setup on my boat and the battery acts like a sort of limiting resistor to smooth out the power. I'm not sure how sophisticated the voltage regulator is on my sled though.
I will bring along my digital multimeter to check power output when the machine is on the stand, compare it at idle and at 3/4 throttle to see what happens.

I wasn't sure about the electric start issue. If I did have electric start, then the system would be DC for sure - no such thing as an AC battery - but mine does not have elec. start. Will let you guys know the results, since I suspect there are a lot of us out there who use the GPS on the trails!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
The lighting system on AC????? I don't think so!!! Those are 12 Volt bulbs.....not 110 volts!!! I'd think to have the DC to AC converter would waste too much weight on the heatsink for that thing...... They look likw a decent sized car amp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK guys. Checked the voltage with a digital multimeter and it registered 7 Volts at idle to 14 volts at throttle, but it was AC NOT DC!!!! DO NOT HOOK UP ANY ELECTRONICS TO IT that aren't intended for connection to a snowmobile. Thus ends my quest, onto the store for a bulk pack of AA batteries!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's not AC.. it's pulsating DC.. it's rectified AC w/ minimal filtering.. anyways I'm not going to drag this out I think Old Cheatah did a great job of explaining it..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Using a Garmin GPS will not be a problem. For the trouble of adating to your visor plug it will be just as easy and economical to place a proper 12 volt socket on your sled and run direct to your battery. You can place both leads at the battery or tie in to a positive from the battery and ground to the engine. Do not ground to chasis it is possible to have an AC voltage leak. Direct to the battery will allow you to run from your sled while stopped. Old Cheetah suggested batteries but if you do any navigating with your GPS it doesn't do much for you in a warm pocket in white out conditions. Get a mount put it on the dash and you will enjoy the benefits of GPS that much more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right you are "650indy" and "oldcheetah" it is rectified AC, however my cheap multimeter can't pick that up. It reports as AC. Anyways, my machine does not have electric start (hence a battery), therefore I won't be using a GPS or cell phone adapter. Rectified AC is not good for electronics. Word of caution to others who may try this.

Thanx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts