Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so last night we finally got my sled running nice. This morning we took it out for a test drive when all of a sudden it just stopped dead.

We tried starting it but the recoil is locked solid. We took the belt off and tried spinning the primary, it spins fine for a bit then stops, and you have to force it until it unjams (is that a word?) itself and spins again.

Any help is greatly appreciated [:)]

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by daman
[br]Sounds like a crank bearing,,tear her down..[xx(]
My thoughts exactly[V]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I tore her apart last night. When I popped the heads off I found my problem, melted aluminum right above dead bottom of my clutch side cylimder, hurray lol.

The rings were catching that aluminum, when they finally got passed it my piston took a good beating. The reason there was melted aluminum? The jets were messed one was at 1 1/2 and another 3/4. Someone at my school must have messed with them.

So part ordering time [V].

·
Registered
102 Posts
Were there any metal shavings around? If so you might want to flush the crankcase on that side in case some got on the bearings. I'm not sure how to flush it but I'm sure someone on here knows. If there is metal shavings and you took the engine out already it may even be worth cracking the case and cleaning it that way... plus you can inspect the bearings that way and see how they spin (feeling rough or making noise is bad). You could probably take the case appart, clean, inspect, and reassemble all in a couple of hours. All it takes is a $8 tube of liquid gasket and maybe 2 new crank seals if you feel like replacing them.

Sometimes I'm over meticulous... can you tell?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts