Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '97 yamaha vmax Xtc, I was just wondering what pros and cons you guys know about this sled. it has 2500 miles on it and its Mint. Clutch kits and custom graphics. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics at the moment, i still gotta pick it up on saturday. So you say that suspension rides great ay? thats good

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The stock suspension kinda sucks. Yamaha wasnt known for great suspension in those days.
Also, keep an eye on the w-arms on the rear suspension. They are known for developing cracks over time and sometimes even breaking.
Other than that, its a solid sled. Durable, reliable, decent fuel economy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]The stock suspension kinda sucks. Yamaha wasnt known for great suspension in those days.
Also, keep an eye on the w-arms on the rear suspension. They are known for developing cracks over time and sometimes even breaking.
Other than that, its a solid sled. Durable, reliable, decent fuel economy.
i have to disagree... the pro action(like he's got) is a fine setup,
properly serviced it rides great.

i can ride 100+ miles in a day and i get home i feel just
fine no fatigue what so ever, love my pro actions sleds.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Yamaha poor suspension myths of the past few years is something that was started by the snowmobile magazines (or one of them) and now has become fact to almost everybody.
It's funny, but when the ProAction came out there was nothing but praise for it and it was the best suspension there was. Now it has changed to a bad suspension and the other suspensions of that time are better.
...Something like the strut front suspension ... it wasn't any good because it wasn't what "they" had.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by PZ1
[br]The Yamaha poor suspension myths of the past few years is something that was started by the snowmobile magazines (or one of them) and now has become fact to almost everybody.
It's funny, but when the ProAction came out there was nothing but praise for it and it was the best suspension there was. Now it has changed to a bad suspension and the other suspensions of that time are better.
...Something like the strut front suspension ... it wasn't any good because it wasn't what "they" had.
i agree,,

i've rode many other brands in my day and let me
tell ya they don't ride any better than my P/A maybe worse!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sorry guys, Not a fan of the pro action here either. I have put many miles on them and I feel they could have done better.

When the dealer that I shop for moto x bike parts is a yamaha dealer and there personal sleds are not yamaha there is something wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive heard good things with this suspension and also i liked the feeling of it. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I upgraded my Vmax4 to a proaction...So that should tell you what I think.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]When the dealer that I shop for moto x bike parts is a yamaha dealer and there personal sleds are not yamaha there is something wrong.
Thats not exactly true. The parts guy races an SRX. Out of all the people who work there, only 1 of them doesnt ride a Yamaha.
The ProAction was never that good of a suspension. It had those issues with cracking w-arms and the ride wasnt all that smooth. It was fine for trail riding, but when the speeds get fast and the bumps get big you have to set it really stiff to keep it from bottoming and that kills it's ride quality.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]When the dealer that I shop for moto x bike parts is a yamaha dealer and there personal sleds are not yamaha there is something wrong.
Thats not exactly true. The parts guy races an SRX. Out of all the people who work there, only 1 of them doesnt ride a Yamaha.
The ProAction was never that good of a suspension. It had those issues with cracking w-arms and the ride wasnt all that smooth. It was fine for trail riding, but when the speeds get fast and the bumps get big you have to set it really stiff to keep it from bottoming and that kills it's ride quality.
True but remember they rode polaris till the 4 strokes came out.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Nope, youre wrong again. They all had SXs SXRs and Vipers untill then. They only had the 1 Polaris.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Better ask. I have been going there for 15 years unlike your 3.

I used to go there with chris all the time. Try again.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I dont need to ask. I know everyone who works there and Im on a first name basis with them all. I know what they ride and trust me, for the most part it aint Polaris.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How many times are you going to change your post?

Lets get this back on track.

The xtc is a decent rough terrain suspension. It is worlds better than the proaction on the rough stuff. Get some pics up of that v-max.

·
Registered
841 Posts
hey phazerman6 .....you have a fine ride there. So is it a 600 or 700?
As for the suspension, once setup for you, it rides great. Yami's have lots of little adjustments you can make for fine tuning.
I have owned a MMax since 98 and it has been a great machine.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchman
[br]hey phazerman6 .....you have a fine ride there. So is it a 600 or 700?
As for the suspension, once setup for you, it rides great. Yami's have lots of little adjustments you can make for fine tuning.
I have owned a MMax since 98 and it has been a great machine.
600 Dutch..no 7's in '97 xtc line..

·
Registered
841 Posts
oohh, I didn't know that. Can't sneek anything past Daman when it comes to yami info.....lol.
Since I have seen MM and SX's I assumed the 700 was in all models. Thanks for the trivia. [BowDown]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts