Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm here for the week, I'll do my best to provide some trail and weather reports. Look for a few photos too.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Have fun! I was there a couple weeks ago and had a blast. I don't know that they've had much snow since then, so you may have to do some venturing to find nice powder.

Not sure if you saw this, but here's my post from our venture to West.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60825

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what most of the trails outside of West Yellowstone looked like today
[attachment=55297]

This is the picture of the hill me and three other rookies took off the South Plateau trail. The bottom of this hill offered some awesome open riding. We paid the price when 3 of us buried our sleds on the way back up. Pretty humbling. But as everyone said, if you don't bury your seld at least once you're not a "real" sledder. [:D]
[attachment=55298]

FWIW, two top mountain was a complete white out all day long. I mean fog so thick you literally couldn't see 3 feet in front of you. I'm extending my stay and extra day when it's expected the weather will clear and I can post a picture from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
man that looks like a great time i might have to book a trip there sometime

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was a typical trail in Yellowstone.

[attachment=55331]

One more shot of a trail

[attachment=55332]

Traffic jam...ther were about 75 sleds all bunched up here

[attachment=55333]

Some traffic jams were worth the wait though. [:D]

[attachment=55335]

Bald Eagle

[attachment=55336]

This was the sled I rode. A 4-Stroke Touring - Double Riding Arctic Cat T660. Heated gripes and seat, very comfortable but not very much power.

[attachment=55337]

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A trip to Yellowstone wouldn't be complete without a shot of old faithful.

[attachment=55347]

This a shot off the Madison Arm loop. Notice the fog rolling into the mountains. Locals say they are well below normal snow depths in the valleys like this. This trail was pretty smooth and offered the chance to open it up a bit. Hit 73 riding the M6 Cat (don't tell the rangers) [:D]

[attachment=55348]

Our group riding through town. Speed limit 25 mph of course.

[attachment=55349]

Now this is close. Amazing how big these are in person

[attachment=55350]

This is me on the South Plateau Loop. Awesome ride, even better snow. The sled is the M6 we upgraded to ride in the mountains. Sweet ride!

[attachment=55351]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
looks like they could use more snow. whats the base??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome Pics.. I'll be heading out there the second week of February.. I can hardly wait to be able to post a few pics of my own.

Where did you stay and who did you rent the sleds from?

This will be my third trip there.. First two times stayed at the Stage Coach Inn which was nice because your sled was waiting for you right outside the hotel door. Staying at the Holiday Inn this year with a similar operation.

MAN I CANT WAIT !!

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
When we were there, we stayed at the Comfort Inn, and rented from Rendezvous Rentals. They let you keep the sleds overnight if you wish, so you can be ready to go as early as you wish in the mornings!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]looks like they could use more snow. whats the base??
They're reporting current snow depths 23” here in West Yellowstone, 39” on the Madison Plateau. I have been to both and agree.

They're also reporting 37” on Lionhead but you couldn't drag me there considering recent events. I spoke with another rider who took the Black Bear trail and in his own words, "if you go there you're in for some deep stuff son." I tended to believe him.

The Madision Arm loop trail is solid with a base of at least 24" and the same with Horse Butte and Cougar Creek trails. I was on the Mosquito cutoff trail and it had to be over 24." The deepest snow I was on clearly was the South Plateau trail. They're reporting 40" and it's every bit of that if not more.

Our group had to turn around on the Two Top loop due to white out conditions but it was getting deeper the farther up the mountain we got. I estimate 4-5' when we did the 180 back to where we could see but all I know is it was deep.

We're getting snow right now and it's not supposed to stop until sometime Thursday. They locals indicated they need more snow and they're getting their wish.

@Russ, I am staying at the Three Bear lodge. Pretty nice people and they have all this down to a science. I booked through Yellowstone tour and travel and they might be the nicest people I've ever met. They set everything up except dinners for me including airfair, shuttle from Bozeman to town, sled rentals, clothing, and breakfast every morning. Pretty much an all-inclusive deal. I do recommend the New York strip steak from Three Bears resturant. It's only a short walk from the hotel to the sled barn. I pretty sre since I'm going to be sledding the next three days I can keep the machine overnight. I know they let me keep the rental clothes all week. It would be nice to have some "local" transportation. [:D]

It's so awesome riding in the mountains here. You can go from sunny to heavy snow to dense fog all it less than 15 minutes. Believe you me, I'm sore from the last two days but it's a great feeling. I worked out some of the kinks in the hot tub today. [:)]

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hit 7 trails today. Nothing new on the ones from yesterday. I took a tumble on the way up Horse Butte lookout from a rouge snow drift. Here's proof I was there
[attachment=55533]

And a view from the top.
[attachment=55534]

The most scenic ride by far was the Black Bear Cutoff. This trail took me up and over the continental divide.
[attachment=55541]
[attachment=55538]
[attachment=55539]

The best ride of the day was Black Canyon. I didn't have enough gas to go the whole way around. Tomorrow it's on the list. [:D]What a desolate looking trail!
[attachment=55535]
[attachment=55536]
[attachment=55537]
[attachment=55543]

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sweet !!

What sled are you riding ? I'll be renting and am trying to decide between the Cat M6 and the Cat M8. Have you tried them both out yet ? Send some sled pics out if you get a chance

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Standard Z570 Cat on these last three days.
[attachment=55573]

I rode the M6 2 days ago and it's very powerful. The M8 is just too much muscle for me on this trip. Remember, this is my first snowmobiling ride! Maybe next time. I'm riding by myself and strictly trails from here on out. I don't plan on going off trail any more while I'm here. There just too many trails I haven't seen yet. I was told the Z570 would take me to Two Top and that was my biggest goal on this trip to get that "money shot." It's no speed demon, but it does the job and in my humble opinion handles better than the M6.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news and bad news today.

Good news is I made it to Two Top Mountain!

[attachment=55743]

Bad news I ran up on a severe accident on the way back down the mountain. Woman driver lost control on Twin Creek trail. Here's the scene. She suffered a broken back from what I heard.[:(]

[attachment=55745]
[attachment=55746]

More scenes from today. We got 4-6 inches of powder overnight. [:D]

[attachment=55747]
[attachment=55748]
[attachment=55749]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Originally posted by pierrelogic
[br]Standard Z570 Cat on these last three days.
[attachment=55573]
I saw a few of those stuck on our way up to Two Top. It was fun virtually walking past them...[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was minus 43 in town this morning. Here's a shot of the weird fog that hovered in town

[attachment=55884]

Here's some more random shots from today. It was cold but the sun was out!

[attachment=55885]
[attachment=55886]
[attachment=55887]
[attachment=55888]
[attachment=55889]

This is my last night in West Yellowstone. [:(] When I return home, I'll post a gallery of pictures. Maybe a movie if I can figure out how to do it. Been a vacation of a lifetime. The weather was perfect. The accommidations were perfect. The people were perfect. I highly recommend this trip to anyone that enjoys sledding and partcularly those that like to mountain sled. I stayed on the beaten path because I was by myself most of the time. But the areas off-trail looked so inviting.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
That was a nice string of photos and notes Rob. Sounds like you had a nice trip. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them when you get a chance to post em.

I'll be arriving there exactly one month from today. I dont know if I'll be as dilegent as you were with posting while there but I'll certainly post some when I get home and we'll compare notes and stories.

Have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
60 Posts
pierrelogic- Awesome pics. Every night this week I'd check the topic every 30 minutes, just waiting to see the pics from the days ride. Looks like you had a blast. Anyway, this topic gave me the fever and so I made my reservations and I'll be out in West Yellowstone 2/14-2/18. Renting a RMK144 for me and IQ600ho for the Lady and hope we have as much fun as it appears you did.I'm stoked!!

Russ172-I see you'll be there also,maybe we can hook up and break some powder.

Also, I got my whole package(sledrental,lodging,ect.)from Two Top rentals, anybody have any experience with them?? good or bad.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dave,
I've been to W. Yellowstone twice. We try to go there once every couple of years. Hopefully annually now since my truck will payed off this summer WOO HOO !! Anyway, the last two times we stayed at Stage Coach Inn which was nice because they handled the sled rentals too and that took place literally at the hotels back door. (THAT SVC IS A BIG DRAW FOR ME). Well.. last time out they (Stage Coach) ran short of sleds and sent us to Two Tops for sleds. The folks at Two Tops were awesome, very helpful and the equipment was fine. (dont remember the exact sled model.) This year we'll be at the Holiday Inn. They are supposed to have a setup similar to that of Stage Coach. We'll be using guides for a couple of reasons.
We'll be arriving on Monday 2/12/07 and use that day to get settled.
Tuesday 2/13 riding into the park (Guide required)
Wed and Th hitting the trails towards Big Springs, Two Tops etc.
We'll be using a guide for sure on these three days. There will be three couples in the group, two of which have 0 sledding experience along with my wife and I who have minimal experience but love it just the same. Since I have minimal knowledge of the area and since the guides know where the GOOD STUFF and safer place are.. It just makes good since to me to spend a lil extra for the peace of mind.

Anyway.. Minimal experience with Two Tops rental.. BUT the one I had was a good one.

Stay in touch..

The last day we'll probably just go horsing around on them at the airfield and gravel pits etc maybe some local trails

·
Registered
60 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the input. I've never been out west before.Most of my sleding has been out east and upper midwest,so this should be be an awesome experience. I just want to do a little exploring nothing to far off the trail,and we've got the park tour on the 17th.Pretty conservative. If all goes well I'll most likely get a guide on a return trip. I'll keep in touch.

pierrelogic- get settled in and lets see the rest of those killer pics.

Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts