Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Planning on getting a bigger Sled , Currently I have an Indy 400 and am hoping for something faster In the area of $2500 Canadian . Or Something at $2000 that responds well to mods . Any help is greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You don't give us much to work with, my freind. For example, a 1987 V-Max would be much faster, but do you want something that old? I (currently) run a 1992 Ski-Doo Mach 1 that I would sell for 1200 US and it'll consistently turn 110-115 on the lake. How old will you go? The good thing is, at this point, you have many options. Let us know...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check out the e-bay and local papers for adds or just ask frends

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey 650 What exactly do you have?? I am in Haliburton also...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey sled head where in Haliburton are you? My old man lives in Canarvon on the Peterson Rd. 118 AND 35 - I love snowmobiling that region.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you want to stay with Polaris, one of the faster old sleds was the Ultra. You should be able to pick one up for that much. Coming from your 400, you won't be able to wipe the "Damn that sled is fast" look off your face.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep ultra or xlt. 96 ultras around here are going for 1500 bucks in nice shape, same with xlts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You got almost 1/2 the price of new. Hit the bank, borrow the money, buy NEW sled, enjooooooooooooooy![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
most ppl cant afford that. here in anada most sleds i like ar 10 g's and in 2 years u wont get much more then 1/2 that reselling it. so y bother? you can get a 2 yr old seld for 5 g's that is in wicked condition with barely nemiles.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
In my opinion, you should buy a modern chassis sled like an edge. There are used 2001/2002 600 xc sp's everywhere. They'd go faster than anybody should go. With the winters we had those years low mileage sleds abound. Wish I was looking seriously for one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tim, 650, and SledHead, Ahhhhhhh, good old Haliburton and Carnarvon. I go there as often as I can.... We have a cottage on Little Redstone Lake. I haven't had the pleasure of snowmobiling that area yet.... I did however go from our cottage into Haliburton Forest for lunch, and took a couple of spins out on our lake. I would like to get out on the trails there one of these times....

·
Registered
93 Posts
My last sled was a Indy 400, but it was bored out a lil' and had a some other mods. Those are such great sleds. mine had 9500 miles on the orig motor on it when I smashed it into a Ford Ranger. So this year i bought a 92 XCR 440 with a 500 out of a 98 indy 500. the guy i bought it from was fanatical and did a bunch of weird stuff to it, like a clutch out of a XCR 600 and 38 mm carbs and he somehow bracketed the rear suspension to add an inch of travel. with 800 miles on the new motor, i bought this sled for $1000 US. good deals are out there if you really look and don't but something unless its something you really want...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a couple of good deals on Ultra 680sp 's and I was woundering how it would respond to pipes , I heard that they get 35 horse power from the pipes but I'm not sure if he's right . I drove my uncle's slightly modified sx 700 on the ice for a radar run and passed at 112.4 mp/h and was wondering once piped would the ultra be in that range aswell ? Does anyone know how much horsepower an ultra starts out with ? thanks for all your help .

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
A piped ultra will get you around 145HP, which is a real nice number, it should easly run past that SX...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Pipes shouldn't increase your top speed much, just how quickly you get to the top speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Kinda true^ The sled will only go as fast as its geared for, diff gearing will give you a higher top end..

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you want fast, I've seen alot of 95-97 zrt 800's going for around 2k. Not half the headache of an ultra, better suspension and more capable on the lake.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
whats wrong with the ultra? iv never heard of ny trobles with them.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
The 97 and up ultra also has the extra 10 susp which is good..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts