Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding for nearly 35 years and have yet to ride anywhere near a mountain. Pops is gettin up in age and I have a ton of flyer miles. Would like to go this winter but have no idea where to start and what it would cost. All I know is I want to do it right. I want to ride the big snow with at least a 600. I would want to do it with a tour guide riding rentals as a group but dont want to get stuck with a bunch of Sunday drivers if get my drift. Will someone rent a newby a sled I wont get bored with in 10 minutes?

Where would you go the first time? This is initial planning stages so please be realisic with your replys.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by Zrxpilot
[br]Been riding for nearly 35 years and have yet to ride anywhere near a mountain. Pops is gettin up in age and I have a ton of flyer miles. Would like to go this winter but have no idea where to start and what it would cost. All I know is I want to do it right. I want to ride the big snow with at least a 600. I would want to do it with a tour guide riding rentals as a group but dont want to get stuck with a bunch of Sunday drivers if get my drift. Will someone rent a newby a sled I wont get bored with in 10 minutes?

Where would you go the first time? This is initial planning stages so please be realisic with your replys.
Yellow Stone has loads of rentals and places to go.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'd check out Togwotee. They have lots of rentals & it's supposed to be one of the best places for mountains & powder. Jackson & Alpine are both close also. I have only been there in late summer, but would love to ride there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Do you want to just ride "near mountains" or are you talking hi-marking?

My dad and husband have been having the same thoughts as you now for a few years (frequent flyer miles, lets head out west,blah, blah) They have been talking about, I dunno, Utah,Colorado "Big Sky Country"

They want to go do crazy sh*t though....I told them I'm sure I could find a few mountain dudes on here to get them headed in the right direction, so I'm actually interested in the response you get here too[:)]

I don't know if finding a guided rental tour group with speed-balls and adrenaline freaks is all that realistic though[;)]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would look into yellowstone for a number of reasons. Lodging is abundent as well as all or most hotels offer rentals. You can get guided tours for about any area and all skill levels. Remember riding out here in the mountains is a whole hellva lot different that flat land riding so you are going to have to give yourself time to adjust to the style of riding. Out here we don't use our seats to sit on as a matter of fact most of the riding is done standing up in order to throw your sled around. If you have the time and you go to Yellowstone, you will want to go to "Two Top" the riding is unbelievable and the scenery will take your breathe away. You can also drive over to Island Park, ID.. This is about 20 min. from West Yellowstone and can be accesed from the park. Between the two areas you'll get plenty of what your looking for. You'll find out the real deffintion of tired after youve ben mountian riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
REVELSTOKE im 14 and i keep upo with the boys NOW after 5 rides at revvy ITS THE BEST

·
Registered
78 Posts
West Yellowstone as it all, nice trails and awesome off trail riding. Contact Polaris West in West Yellowstone for rentals. Tons of great riding in that area and the night life is pretty good also.

Here is a from a few years ago out at Two Top. We found this play area right off of the main trail. Note, my buddy had his rental sled on its side and he is holding it back from rolling down the mountian. I was the only one that was willing to go up and help him! LOL! [attachment=48750]

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want to ride in the park, they have speed limits and you will have to rent a sled from them. I am talking about heading from West Yellowstone out to Two Top, you can ride off trail and I did not see anything about speed limits on the trail.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, you can get guided and unguided tours here in the valley, there is like 3 or 4 different tour companies here and each have there own riding areas they stick too with everytype of riding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.