Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its early I know, but i'm starting to look for a new sled for next year. I now own a
92 Polaris XCR, and even with all the mods it has, its a far cry from the power i want

I am interested in something like a polaris Indy 650 or RXL. For some reason those triples really turn me on. lol. I was wondering what the rumors are about them. Are they good sleds? reliable? are there known problems with the 650 engine, and mostly i would like to know what the big difference between the 650 and rxl is. Thanx!

Remember: DON"T HESITATE.........ACCELERATE!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whoa, that is getting to be some old iron! (I ride an 89 500 and a 95 XLT Special, so I know what old is all about). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert on this topic, and I've never owned an RXL or 650, but I have ridden with guys that did own those sleds.

From what I remember, fuel injection didn't do much for the 650 (the RXL version), and the guys that I talked to all prefered being able to do the "tweaking" themselves, so the preference was for the 650 carb. Everyone that I rode with (four guys that had 650's) all had good luck with their sleds. I think the only friend of mine that had problems and burned a piston was a guy that did some serious mods to his 650. When it ran, you could not stop the guy, but it only had two speeds - Wide open, hauling buttski, or broken.

So, my advice, go with the 650, not the RXL, but watch out when you get up near 100 MPH for the windshield folding down. If you are not prepared for it, it'll about rip your helmet off your head....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where did you get the sled pics that appear in your posting? I'd like to find a nice pic of a 1995 XLT Special to use for wallpaper on my PC. Any ideas where I can go?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the site i got the pic off only has small pics of the sleds, i really dont know where you could get a large one, thanx for the advice

Remember: DON"T HESITATE.........ACCELERATE!!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I own a 90 Indy 650. I have put 4,500 miles on the sled and I have had very few problems. It outperforms the 650 RXL's on the lake!! Just some minor problems such as voltage reg, carb tuning. I have a pic of my sled in the sled pic section under "can anyone post a pic for me?"

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What about a 95 or newer XCR 600 or XLT, better susp. Don't know if they're faster than a 650.

About what year or price range sled are you looking at.

Official member of the "piss and moan about everything" club

·
Registered
671 Posts
to find a pic of ur sled you might want to go to www.polarisman.com, but it probaly isn't very big, but u can find a pic there

Ride Polaris!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The XCR 600 will definately out perform the XLT. I own the second generation of the xlt in the Triumph. I love this sled, has plenty of power and speed. Although if you want an XLT studded i would say it probably needs a clutch kit to really give you the power you desire. My sled for the moment is still unstudded....havent gotten a pattern figured out yet, but even without studs the XLT's are a great sled with a tried and true engine. I give polaris an A+ for putting the xlt motor in the Gen II chassis, and an F for failing to continue production after only one year in that chassis. The suspension on this sled rides great, especially with the fox/polaris position sensative shock in the rear. I would highly reccommend this sled, course i love triples so i guess im a little biased.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The sled has decent power but was notorious for scorching the middle cylinder. I would save more money and get a new twin. I love the triple in my sled but the twins certainly have better torque.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the pics!
I really like my RXL! The dealer saw it and said flat out "that sled is a rocket!"
People burn up the center piston when running across the lake WOT at 110+mph
The fuel pump cant keep up above 9500RPM!
SLP makes a duel fuel pump kit to fix this problem.
My broscher claims its the years fastest production sled of 91
RXL is EFI! I like the increased fuel milage and ease of not haveing to adjust the carbs everytime the weather changes!
good luck

91 polaris indy 650 RXL EFI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts