Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everbody,

Im new to the forum and am looking for some sound advice for my first sled purchase.

I recently found a 99 Polaris RMK 700 that is said to run good and has a high preformance end, pipe, and clutch with 5400 approx miles.

In talking with my cousin, he said the price is so low due to the high miles and said a rebuild might not be too far off.

Also the same seller is selling a 96 RMK 700 with 5500 miles.

I am leaning towards the 99 just because of the newer year off it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks ![beer]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya lol

Im just not sure if 5400 is considered real high miles or not, I am going to ask the seller when he calls back what kind of riding it was, wether real hard or just around and about...

What else does anyone think i should ask the seller?

thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
5400 is getting up there...
ask him what the compression is in the cylinders, if there below 100 psi i would be thinkin bout a rebuild

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would have to say that if you are gonna go for it sleds can go well into the 6-7000 range before needing new rings. had a 95 indy 500 that hasnt had new rings in 12000 miles so really it depends on what you are lookin for. if you are too worried about it then dont do it. my philosophy is that if you are getting into the sport then you better get to know your sled. if you maintain it 90% of problems can be avoided. 5400 really isnt that much on a sled

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@mdhines28- Im looking for more a first sled, I am moving up to Minnesota next year and all m family has sleds and goes on trips with them over the state and into Wisconsin, so Im looking for a sled that will keep up and isn't to expensive but is also reliable, so Im hoping this sled wasnt ridden to hard or anything cause I am looking for one that will last me a year or 2!

O maybe this will help some feedback also, the 99 RMK 700 im looking at has the above listed upgrades, and is claimed to run good price tag is $750!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
FF-Tony said:
@mdhines28- Im looking for more a first sled, I am moving up to Minnesota next year and all m family has sleds and goes on trips with them over the state and into Wisconsin, so Im looking for a sled that will keep up and isn't to expensive but is also reliable, so Im hoping this sled wasnt ridden to hard or anything cause I am looking for one that will last me a year or 2!

O maybe this will help some feedback also, the 99 RMK 700 im looking at has the above listed upgrades, and is claimed to run good price tag is $750!
If you mean he is selling the RMK for 750 dollars, then yes,i would seriously consider buying it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya only 750 haha no use for them here in Colorado, thought i would pick one up before i move to the great white north, I called the guy early, no word back yet but I am going to ask track condition and what kind of track, see if he knows the compression PSI and see if it needs any more work, but so far Im thinkin it would be a good sled to start me out for a year or 2 and with the upgrades (if it runs) will be well worth the 750.

·
Registered
443 Posts
750 yes i would do it but seems kinda low priced make sure it is in good condition.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Yeah, thats good. How shocks are, especially rear, and also compression, track, speedo and tach work, if lights work properly, and cracks in plastic or belly pan, and the last time it was serviced.
This is my opinion, what id ask. Not telling you what to do here

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
on a polaris 5400 is just broken in, a friend of my dads has one with over 20000 on it and has very low maintenece on it, other then a rebuild, we have one with over 8000 and is our lowest maintence sled, i just bought a 99 700 rmk and we have an 02 700 rmk they are both awsome sleds i love them both, i would go with the 99 but i am not a big fan of the wedgies, the perfect one would be a 2000 with the VES motor, the only thing my 99 needs to be perfect is an edge chassis, but the xtra 10 sure beats our old cats

and at 750 bucks thats a no brainer, i gave 1100 for mine with the front suspension damaged but other then the stump issue it was mint condition and only 1900 miles so i dont feel to bad

if you dont buy it i will and you can leave it at my house on your way to Minn

not sure what the price is but

if it does give out on ya i would be intserested in the high performance pipe and clutch, the would nearly pay for the sled haha

and i agree 100% with big foot check it out good first if you an look at it in person do it, we had a bad deal on one on ebay cause the guy lied on condition but it was far enough away we wernt gona go look if we didnt buy, he didnt make us take it but still suck we drove that far for nothing

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs/1923198899.html

there is the ad for it, top pictures of course

@tdgbigfoot- im thinking the resr suspension is good because it says high performance end(?) or maybe that pertains to something else

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i think he missed top or bottom end usually the what they mean on high performance, i wish i was closer i would buy both of them, the 99 needs new skis otherwise it looks sweet i love that polaris blue as u can tell we have 2 of em

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why do you say that about the skis, they do look a little worn but what should i look for in person on the skis or suspension?

thanks man really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
make sure the rods were replaced regularly and have not worn throught the ski itself, if they have new skis would be your best option but you can also buy skins the go over the ski, i just said put new ones because those look bad on there the red and all they may be perfectly fine and check the slides or hyfax on the track rail to mkae sure it was replaced properly and has not worn the rail out we had one do that, luckily we had our ZRT800 all taken apart to part out and we jut threw that chassis under and away we went, let me know if you decided not to buy them and what condition you think they are in cause showed them to my dad an he is interested in buy both if you dont buy one

if you need help i can post a couple pics on what i ment

·
Registered
244 Posts
the 99 rmk isnt a wedge its a gen 2 chassis, and 2000 rmks didn't have ves

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dodgetruck2- some pictures would be great, guy hasnt called me back yet, if he doesnt call by sat im going to call again, good news on the other hand is got offered a job in minnesota today for next summer, so it is time to start getting all the toys i need, but yes some pictures of what to look for would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TylerC said:
the 99 rmk isnt a wedge its a gen 2 chassis, and 2000 rmks didn't have ves
really? i just assumed they were VES because our 2000 600 XC is ves, and i new the 99's are a gen 2 I own one, same dam thing that hes lookin at lol just 2/5 the miles on mine lol

ok i will take a couple pictures of what i mean

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ok i got a couple pictures and we have had pretty good luck just making sure to get these two points checked because if they are good there is a good chance the rest of the sled maintence has been good, besure it starts if he doesnt care you can drive it but just pump the throttle couple times make sure it runs good and clean, i guess everyone else just kinda toss in what you look for when buyin a sled this is all we ever do and it has worked good for our polaris no comment for the cats lol (Junk!).

20109215548720_31486.jpg
201092155351282_31486.jpg
201092155359610_31486.jpg

the key wear point on ours tends to be the curve down on the front of the track they wearout here first, this is the chassis i was talking about and it is junk, the rest of the part are good but the rails are shot

201092155341626_31486.jpg
20109215541416_31486.jpg

the skis same way teh intial contact point is where they go first, this is a good spare ski i have, and you can see the little chunck that sticks out, that is normal if they are carbide runners, this one is about halfway used up i could put a feel miles on it yet, but if you cant find this square chunk and oyu know they are carbides and not just a standard runner then they need replace and cost around 50 bucks, unless they have been gone along time and the ski is shot, one of our spare cats the skis a shot but we never hardly use is so we just welded a chunk back on the steel ski to patch the whole, new skis are not to bad if you buy used ones

these are the two first points i check, then i fire it up and see what its like, we have only bought one sled out of season so usually we can ride it before we buy, mine was the first one we got out of season and it was wreck so in or out it wouldnt have matter, got it all rebuilt over this summer and its sitting there just waiting for the threat of snow here is a link to it

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/115424/display.aspx

if you need more info let us know we can help ya or atleat try[thumb]

EDIT: wow my english sucks let me try that again lol

EDIT 2: dam pictures got messed around

1 - 20 of 43 Posts