Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]I thought it was 10 but i have heard 12
Just because the front suspension is called the XTRA-12 or XTRA-10 doesn't mean that is really how much travel it has. The original XTRA-12 with the longer trailing arm that mounted just before the running board started had an honest to goodness 12 inches of travel. However, later models after 1996 had the later version of the XTRA-12 that had been reduced to 10 inches by using XTRA-10 trailing arms and different length shocks. The XTRA-10 front suspension itself never had 10 inches of travel. The 1996 versions had 8.4, and the later versions had 9.5.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the people i bought my 95 xcr from put the engine,front suspension, and rear suspension on the the wedge chassie. because they had a triumph that got wrecked but the engine was good but they also had a blown up xcr so they slapped the engine in the 95 xcr. if u look at my recent thread titled whats wrong with my front suspension then you will see what i am talking about.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres the link: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62169

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
No, it had XTRA-10 front suspension. Same as any other 2000 model year sled with XTRA-10 front suspension.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Okay, I am looking at your pictures.
1) Where does the aluminum pivot arm for the torsion bar attach to the trailing arm? Could you take a picture from the back side of the trailing arm (i.e. under the sled from the other side) so that we can see where it mounts and how.

2)The shaft for the torsion bar and the aluminum pivot arm should be splined. What you are saying is that you adjust the arm so that it is near horizontal and by the end of a ride, it is hanging down near vertical, correct? Does the other side do the same or not? (i.e if one is down, is the other?) If one is and one isn't, the splines are shot, and you will need a new pivot arm.

3) If you do get a new replacement and put it on, I would recommend trying to get a longer link between the trailing arm and the pivot arm. I think what is probably happening is that you are putting way to much stress on the torsion bar because this suspension hangs further down when it is unloaded. With the sled sitting on the ground, the suspension sits a bit higher than normal. I am willing to bet that with the front end in the air, the trailing arm will drop even lower yet. The torsion bar itself is allowed to turn all it wants in its bushings. What really controls the position of the pivot arm is the trailing arm itself and the connection between the trailing arm and the pivot arm. The suspension only used to drop a couple inches when it was the IFS, so the pivot arm could never reach the point of no return (completely vertical). Now, the linkage is so short and the suspension drops so far that it needs the additional length of the pivot arm to allow the suspension to move down. Once it gets there though, the suspension won't compress because the arm is jammed vertical and won't go back without help. You need to either lengthen the adjuster so that it will allow the pivot arm to sit horizontal, or if it doesn't go that far, get a longer replacement. I wouldn't ride it without fixing it or you may break off the tube the torsion bar goes through or break the bar itself. Also, I don't like trail riding without a torsion bar, you will have major body roll in the corners.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]No, it had XTRA-10 front suspension. Same as any other 2000 model year sled with XTRA-10 front suspension.
According to Polaris's parts listings it is a plethora of different parts with some coming from the XTRA-10 and some from the XTRA-12. However, I did some other checking and according to the owners manuals, some did get XTRA-10 rear with XTRA-12 front and others got XTRA-10 front with XTRA-10 rear. According to the Triumph owners manual, it has XTRA-10. The manuals do not list any suspension travels. The only part numbers that are not shared between the XTRA-10 and XTRA-12 for 1999 and 2000 are those of the shocks. The trailing arms, radius rods, spindles, and torsion bars are all the same part numbers. So if you want to make your sled from an XTRA-10 to an XTRA-12, it seems you just need to change shocks??
[attachment=56833]

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts