Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weird problem where my Formula STX all of the sudden didn't want to idle on it's own unless I cranked the idle screws way in to keep the rpm's up in orbit. Ran fine with some rpm's, just didn't want to idle on its own. The culprit?? One of my plugs had it's nut on top come completely unscrewed and the only thing holding the plug wire onto the plug was the friction between the boot and the ceramic of the plug. [:0] Took 15 seconds to fix, but I was scratching my head over this one for a little while now... [:D]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
NGK has a line of solid tip plugs, I only buy those.
But a similar thing happened on my Trailcat, the plug boot was not connected very well, and at high RPM would stall, new NGK plug boots fixed that.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, I only run the solid tipped plugs as well, because I've had similar problems in the past with the screw on ones. GARBAGE I tell ya, GARBAGE! [;)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Somebody showed me once that whenever you take a new plug out of the box to carry a pair of pliers and give that top a good twist. Once bitten, twice shy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya know, I ALWAYS do that!!! Either I forgot this plug, or didn't crank hard enough on it, or it just backed off anyways (and will soon do it again which will lead to it being swapped out in a split second)... [:)]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah only get the solid tips. Some times the caps are a huge pain to get out too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Interested in Champions? RN2C is solid as well (BR9ES equivelant)...to my dismay. I'll be doing alot of cap changing next year...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Cuz my old snowmobile caps are for threaded (narrow) tips!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me once.....and it really sucked when I was out on the trail trying to pop out the tip that had completely unscrewed and was now lodged inside the cap....Anyways...what I found to work for the screw tip plugs is to tighten 'em up good and then take a pair of side cutters and basically crimp the tip onto the thread. Just be careful not to cut it all the way thru and cut the tip of the plug off! You may want to practice on an old plug first. Once I started doing that never had a problem again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went after the tip by taking the plug out of the cylinder and putting it into the plug boot, then turning the plug to get a couple threads back into the tip, then pull the plug back out of the boot, tip and all. Quickest and easiest, I'm figuring.

Good idea on the crimp, too. Will have to remember that one...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use loctite red threadlocker sealant on my plugs for the same reason. It seems to work well, although they do recommend heat to unlock the sealant. I don't think the tops get that hot though.

Why do they make screw tops anymore??? I haven't seen a screw top plug for years. The last time I saw them was on an old Wheel-Horse lawn tractor we used to have. The damn things came off then too!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts