Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have installed two mechanical seals on my water pump assembly and both of them have crack the plastic piece that goes against the ceramic disc. I never come close to this area with a hammer, I have been putting them in with a 1" diameter piece of PVC pipe so I can lay it right on the metal area of the seal and tap it in.

At 30 bucks a pop, it is getting frustrating, anyone out there have a technique for this?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how your waterpump is setup but is it possible to press it in, instead of hammering it. Possibly use the bench vise and your pvc pipe and squeeze it into place? Just a thought

·
Registered
837 Posts
are you doing this in a cold garage? since it is plastic you may want to warm it 100-150, it can handle that because the water is that temp, maybe that will help get it on

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seal actually goes into the engine block, so I do not think I can get into a vise setup, maybe a Large C-Clamp.

I was thinking about it being too cold also, I think I will bring it to my buddies heated shop and work on it.

Does anyone know what the bolt that holds on the impeller should be torqued to?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
the plastic used on those is a standard ABS plastic. they become brittle at 40 degrees F. use a heat gun and getit to about 75-90degrees F and it should be fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I took the easy way out. My dealer said they would do it for 20 bucks. So I dropped it off a couple of minutes ago.

It bugs me to pay people to do things like this, but the wife was starting to get cross-eyed at me. [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts