·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how fast do you have to go to stay above water with a snow mobile

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You dont really need to pin it but when in doubt throttle her out. Just dont get the clutches wet or you will be swimming to shore. You can carve the same as in powder if you are brave enough.

What do you plan on using?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i usually go anywhere between 35 and 50 mph. usually on the first run across i have it pinned right to the bar. so in that case like 85+

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
And how well does a 2in paddle track work for skipping? Better or worse? Because I have heard they work great and I have heard they don't work that great.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
I have taken off with my skis in the water before,so 0 mph. You just need traction and power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i mean i have been water skipping before but my budies and i were in a disagrement about how fast you had to go so i didnt know cause i dont have a spedo

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have a 1 3/8 track on my sled and it goes just as well or better on water then in power. You can pretty much use any track (as long as its not bauld) to cross water, its all about consitant speed.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
ive got .82 inch track with 1 inch studs how fast will i need to go to stay up?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
i run my prox on all the watter in the ditches when there is some, i usally run full bore or some for a while, i have a 1.25 inch track that i was crossing with last year whenit was 121, i did some this year now it stands up across watter with the 136 it was fun. i was doing tons last spring racing cars on watter lol whiel they were on the road.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I can run on water easily with the 1.25" I just start off really fast crossing and then slow it down every time I cross. Its more fun going slower, you will feel the sled start to ride a little lower in the water and feel the drag.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
30's about as slow as I'd go. If you've got big fat skis and a 136+ you can probably slow down pretty far, as long as you've got the power to get out. My buddy with did cat could come onto the water 10mph and go. Once going he never slowed down that far though. Click the link in my profile to see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
slowest ive skipped was 35. on our 91 indy 500 i was going across a 60ft long by about 2 feet deep pond at about 65 mph and the clutch fried. ( not due to water skipping )

·
Registered
815 Posts
i have a 91 indy 400 with a 1.25 inch paddle. Can it swim?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I would say ya, pretty much anything can swim, and you have the 1 1/4" working with you. Just cross fast your first few times until you get a feeling to where the "edge"of submarining is. I wouldnt slow down to much though, with a 400 if it starts going down, there probably wont be any bringing it back up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.