Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16368
My local advanced auto has a gauge similar to this and i was wondering would it work for a snowmobile application not an automotive one? Also where do you draw electrical from? where does the sender go?
I figured for the 25$ it would be worthwhile to do, and add it to my list of things to put money away for in these next 3 months before winter.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had an auto gauge on my sled and it sucked. cars run hotter then sleds so the needle almost never moved. spend the extra $25 and get the KOSO gauge for around $50. Its a way better gauge.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
In short, yes, it will work...BUT...

I had a cheap electrical WT gauge in my SnoPro for awhile. I had to purchase and install a 12v rectifier to convert the sleds 12c AC current into 12c DC which the gauge requires ($30). I also had to purchase an inline t-adapter in able to tap into a water line to read the coolant temp ($30). So before you know it, I had almost $100 wrapped up into my gauge in a heartbeat. When it was all said and done, my gauge was FAR from reliable. I don't know if it was just the cheap gauge, or because my sled runs so cool. I ended up purchasing an AutoMeter gauge ($80 ?) which starts reading at 60*F, and is a much nicer gauge all around...I have also had consistent temps every ride.

NOW, for your sled, you would still need the rectifier, BUT, you could probably get by without buying anything for the sending unit. You can simply attach the sending unit where the stock unit reads it's temp from on the back side of the cylinder head. Long story short, you'd have $55-60 into a gauge that may, or may not, be reliable. It's up to you.

Personally, if I were to redo mine, I would simply purchase a kit from J&T. For $80 you will get an electrical WT gauge with everything you need. I have read many positive reviews about them on HCS and A-Chat.

That's just my experience. I like my AutoMeter gauge I have now, especially for the fact that it starts reading temps at 60*F (my sled runs 120* or less in decent snow). I have a little coin tied up in it tho.
200924215135356_3852.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Here's the one I have:

2009525173927625_24996.jpg
Starts at 100 degrees. My sled usually runs about 160 so it worked out good. It is also not an electric sending unit. Pulled out the sensor for the idiot light and used that port on the head cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
what bout a mechanical? alot easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts