Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I hope everyone is good and getting snow, and if you aren't I hope its heading your way soon.

Anyways I've got a bit of a problem to solve and I'm looking for ideas of what it might be. I've got a 98 yamaha SX 600 and I've since I've bought it (last year) my water temp light would flash 1 time when I first started it up then it would go out and not come back on. It continued to do this when I fired it up perodically thru the summer and I didn't ever really think anything of it. Well last night we got about 6" of snow so I decided to go for a little ride, maybe about 1/2 a mile or so just for fun. Well my temp light came on when I first fired the sled up like it always does and it looked like it went out. I went back into the house to let it warm up a bit and get my stuff on. I came back out and hopped on the sled and went for a ride. The problem is that my temp light kept flash consistently, 3 times about every 10 seconds the entire time I was out. I didn't push the sled or anything because I was kind of worried about it so I never really went over 30 MPH and was riding 15 - 20mph the entire time I was out. Does anyone have any idea on what might be causing this? I got it back home and checked the coolant and it looked a bit like, maybe 1/2" or so under the required amount in the resevoir but not extremely low. I'm going to head out to the shop to have a look at a couple things tonight and I'm just looking for some ideas on what to check?

Thanks for any help guys, much appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright so I went to look the sled over tonight and I think I may have found the problem but I'm not positive. I started checking the wire connections from the temp light to what I think is the heat sensor. Please correct me if I'm wrong but is the heat sensor is on top of the the head? If so I'm pretty sure I've found the problem as those wires were connected to virtually nothing. As soon as I seperated the clips the wires fell out. Can someone please let me know if I'm on the right track here? I'm not positive that it is the heat sensor. that I'm talking about.

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yep it is your coolant temp sensor. It should screw into the head. A pick would be more helpful. I would also try holding it in place to see if your light goes out. If it does either replace the parts or solder the wire back into the connector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts