Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this year, i wanna try some actuall skipping with my mxz. I think I have 1" paddles, and 1.25 studs. My sled tops out around 75-80, and I was wondering, if I hit the water at like, 65-70, and I lean back and stand on the back of the foot runners, will the sled stay up if I keep it pinned? I'm talking about going like 200 feet max over water.. Probably really no more than 100 feet. Will it stay up? I'm scared of losing my sled.. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First time I crossed water was by accident. On a river at night with my old XLT. I was sitting flat riding in heavy snow doing no more than 50mph on a bumpy river and suddenly it got real smooth and real quiet. When it hit me where I was, I went WOT and crossed without problems. The next day crossed it numerous times intentionally, usually between 50-60mph. Open water was less than 100ft. Just need to make sure the ice on the other side leaves you a good transition so you don't hit a wall and launch yourself and/or sink your sled. If you feel the skid sinking and you start bobbing like a jet-ski, stay calm and give her a little more throttle. Maybe practice on a very shallow area first. Always gets the blood pumping for me!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only time I've tried water crossing, it was about 3 feet deep, and 15 feet wide, and my 440 went right across it.. but, now i'm going for something a little bigger.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
try it over a flooded field or something that is only 12 to 18 inches deep. That way if you sink only your boots will get wet, but that is deep enough to skip over. Its fun and good luck!!!!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SKILIE301
[br]try it over a flooded field or something that is only 12 to 18 inches deep. That way if you sink only your boots will get wet, but that is deep enough to skip over. Its fun and good luck!!!!
now.. the search to find a field that i'll be allowed to ride on, or one that isn't ice..

·
Registered
850 Posts
My friend on his 340 with no track left on it skipped across A pond 3 or 4 times without sinking he just had it WOT so you shouldn't have a problem. I went like 300 feet across a Field be for.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
in the spring when the ice is melting there should be some good sized puddles in the lakes. start out with that and see what happens.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wait untill spring, take off your seat ( when they get wet they get heavy and take forever to dry) Ride like your in deep powder, dont really need to go that fast, you sled will slightly pick up speed on open water. The most important thing is to plan ahead!! Try straight shots first, then move up. I can gaurentee one thing. You will sink your sled, not talking trash about you, after a few times you start to get cocky!! I know from experiance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
just hit it at around 45-50mph at most and keep constant throttle in regular riding position. dont hammer too hard on the gas because ur back end will sink pretty quick

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wasnt, Sledhead907 was. I'll try to post some video, got some from this summer, out on Lake Michigan, and the river behind my house.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won't be riding for a little bit, even though there's snow and the trails are open.. FREAKIN NGK PLUGS!

Also, I have a drilled track, will this help me?

·
Registered
369 Posts
well now you dont have to worry about sinkin lol

or ridin

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by Boersy
[br]NOWWHATBROKE HOW WERE YOU FORCED TOO ? sorry for caps
I know it was directed at me so I'll answer.

I live right on a river. It's a 2 second ride through the trees and I'm there. The embankment to the river is about 15 feet down at a 45 degree angle. Once you start down the embankment there is no turning around. I started down the embankment when the river wasn't frozen completely. I didn't have a choice but to ride it down about a mile until I could get the sled off the river and into someone's yard.

I always check the river now before going on it.

Also riding on water felt exactly like riding in deep powder. Don't steer so much in turns, but lean and let the sled work it's self around the corner.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]I won't be riding for a little bit, even though there's snow and the trails are open.. FREAKIN NGK PLUGS!

Also, I have a drilled track, will this help me?
drilled tracks sink like a rock from what i've heard. you only need to hit it at 30-45 mph to stay above but like said above i would deffinetally find a flodded ditch wiht roughly a foot of water or find a flooded field. btu dont try and act like your a champ do nice fast drags in shallow water but like they said pull of your seat and wear a life jacket. i've seen some guys wear a back pack witha rope and a booey hooked to the back bumper to help pull it out.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we have to see what happens. I'm gonna try it at sebago lake when it freezes. I'l get going let 60-70 and lean back and just flying under the big bridge were the waters only about 40-50 feet wide were you cross, but then again, it's a good 15 feet to the bottom.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You wont have any problem. For how fast you talk about hitting it leaning back wont really do much. Can just sit normally and be fine. At slower speeds it does alot more. My buddy's 2000 or so mxz 500 stays ontop decent. He's gone over 1000 feet just fine....was somewhere around 40-45mph. He could slow down alot more but it was always at the end of a run. A 500 probably wont have the power to throttle out should you get cocky and really slow down. Mine I can let the whole ass end sink and power out.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, my sled tops out around 75-80 but get's there extremely fast. This sled was built for sno-x, but my heads have been switched, and so has my jetting. But, my gearing and clutching is still the same, so, i have a lot of low end.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]Well, my sled tops out around 75-80 but get's there extremely fast. This sled was built for sno-x, but my heads have been switched, and so has my jetting. But, my gearing and clutching is still the same, so, i have a lot of low end.
Then whats the problem? 40 mph is a safe speed to skip. Dont need to hit the water at 75 to only go 200 feet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts