Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
only cover the vents on the clutch side. go from the inside with ducttape. and pull your seat off incase you go down itll save alot of work haha. also if you start going under shut it off right away otherwise youll hydrolock it

·
Registered
92 Posts
polaris91 said:
only cover the vents on the clutch side. go from the inside with ducttape. and pull your seat off incase you go down itll save alot of work haha. also if you start going under shut it off right away otherwise youll hydrolock it
I have to agree shut it down as soon as you realize you are going down. Nothing worse the a hydrolock....

Just be careful and have fun....

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I wouldnt say 3/4 throttle unless its a big pond. I'd just keep throttling up and down. When you first try to make a tight turn, lean just a little, and counter steer. At first, dont force it or else the ass end will come around and you'll sink. Take off your seat as well. Try to not stand it straight up across the water. The more track you have touching, the better you'll go. Keep your skis up though. If you can find away, keep your shocks as compressed as possible.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the handy mans secret weapon duct tape works good on vents. On mine i riveted some plastic over a couple of vents. a good tip would be get rid of any thing that u are not going to need lighter is better when it comes to this. make sure u have risers that are the right height for u. and oh yeah get familiar with draining your gas. Oh yeah if you are going to sink and u know it kill the engine before u go under. taking out the sway bars works nice for handling. get rid of the hood hinge system and use straps it might not get rid of a lot of weight but it is easier to work on the engine with out a hood that can fall on you. also add a hook so when u sink it u can drag it out with that. that is what i can think of

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do all of what everyone else has been saying and if you are going to actually watercross(going around in circles racing each other)then take the flap and tie down the inside corner to your sled. By that I mean if your going to go in clockwise direction tie the bottom right corner down. It creates like a funnel effect that makes doing the hard turns while racing easier. If your just going to water skip you don't need to do that. Make sure you tape up your vents good too. I buddy of myn didn't tape up any vents and his belt got wet and he stopped dead and went down. Good luck man and have fun.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
do a search plenty of threads

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Another tip, take off, or drop your limiter straps, along with taking out your rear stop blocks in your skid, this will keep your front end pulling in the air when your on the throttle.[thumb]

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
when the cyls fill with water locking the engine up with water causing major internal damage for example bent connecting rods ect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
if you've never skipped before go across a few times get used to the feel of the sled on water then start making small turns and so on. keep a plug wrench handy!!! if you skip enough times you will sink. tape the vents an do what willie said with the suspension and have fun with it. one of my buddies described it as its kinda like riding in powder. have fun!!! get some video of it

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive skipped before just not somthing as large as his pond...its like 300 ft long 100 ft wide and up to 20 ft deep!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just be sure to silicone the open cracks on your PTO side..a little bit of water will cause your belt to slip and you'll be lucky to get back up to speed before you sink. If you've never skipped before, give it plenty of throttle until you get comfortable. One other thing, if your riding in salt-water give your sled a good rinse before you let it sit...my last ride last season included salt-water skipping and when I took my rear skid out a few months later, all the bolts/nuts/washer etc. were rusted to hell..haha.[beatup]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
blacktar08 said:
if you've never skipped before go across a few times get used to the feel of the sled on water then start making small turns and so on. keep a plug wrench handy!!! if you skip enough times you will sink. tape the vents an [highlight=yellow]do what willie said[/highlight=yellow] with the suspension and have fun with it. one of my buddies described it as its kinda like riding in powder. have fun!!! get some video of it
If you really want to know what I'd say "BUY A JET SKI" Hahahahaha[:D]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts