Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what do u have to do to your snowmobile after it sinks ? Does it blow up from moister in the engine or what

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
if u did not kill the engine before it went under water I believe u need to take the engine apart to get rid of the water somebody should be able to tell me if this is right or not. if u killed the engine before it went under most people take the spark plugs out and pull the engine over until the water is out of the engine. There are many people on here that can help u out. when I watercross my number 1 rule is if u are going to sink KILL the engine before it goes under.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
lay on the throttle and dont think about sinking

·
Registered
30 Posts
why would u sink in the first place?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Here's how I'd do it, empty the gas out of your tank, empty oil tank pull over sled until all the water is out while on it's side(with plugs removed, pour some oil down the cylinders, fill oil tank, then fill your gas tank. Then try and start. With any luck your sled should be good to go, however I might consider premixing to get a little bit more oil in the crank.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sharpie-fine said:
why would u sink in the first place?
Because sleds don't float. Maybe its different in Canada.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
haha^

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
First things first. You want the sled OFF before you go under.

1. Biggest concern is getting the water out of the engine. Right side up, pull it over a bunch with the plugs out. Now, upside down, or on its side pull it over. Taking the pipe off will make it go faster and let everything work faster. Pull the carbs off and pull it over more. Clean your carbs with gas to ensure all the waters out. Drain your gas and oil tank. Your most likely going to have to replace your headlights. Put a little 2-stroke mineral oil in the cylinders and pull it over some. Carbs back on and a new set of plugs. Pull it till she fires. You want it running as fast as possible to prevent rust buildup on pistons, cylinders, and bearings.

·
Registered
863 Posts
sledcrusher said:
First things first. You want the sled OFF before you go under.

1. Biggest concern is getting the water out of the engine. Right side up, pull it over a bunch with the plugs out. Now, upside down, or on its side pull it over. Taking the pipe off will make it go faster and let everything work faster. Pull the carbs off and pull it over more. Clean your carbs with gas to ensure all the waters out. Drain your gas and oil tank. Your most likely going to have to replace your headlights. Put a little 2-stroke mineral oil in the cylinders and pull it over some. Carbs back on and a new set of plugs. Pull it till she fires. You want it running as fast as possible to prevent rust buildup on pistons, cylinders, and bearings.
sledcrusher is a pro..

·
Registered
718 Posts
why do we have to kill the engine before going under? just curious.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
So water doesn't get sucked in the air intake and into the cylinders.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
shady800x said:
why do we have to kill the engine before going under? just curious.
Because water in the engine while its running may hydro lock the engine, which may bend/break rods, and do other damage to engines. If you hydro lock an engine your going to be tearing it down. If the machine is fully submerged, engine running or not your going to get water in from exhaust and intake. If I ever sunk my sled I would pull the engine apart regardless, you may get all the water out of the combustion chamber and it will run but your most likely not going to get it all out of the cross shaft that runs the oil and water pump. Just my .02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts