Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my sled a week ago I've had nothing but problems. AS everyone knows I have a flooding problem. I've torn into the carbs and fuel pump. There is nothing wrong besides running rich on the center cylinder with a 400 jet.[:)] SLP recommends 400's and the mag and pto and 380 on the center. Needle and seats are in almost new condition! The only thing I haven't checked is the silencer. I was told that if it was partially plugged it would run rich. Since it is jetted for -20 to +10 I was wondering if I could get 395 for the mag and pto and 375 for the center so it could be jetted for -10 to +20. It doesn't get very cold in IL.[:(] What else could cause this?

[attachment=51118]

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump is good, and the chokes need minor ajustment.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm ajuxting the choke as we speak. The carbs look brand new inside. They are spotless and the floats look to be in the right position. I think the carbs were rebuilt before I bought the sled.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got is all back together and ajusted the chokes to this

Originally posted by xcr440
[br][attachment=51463]
When I started it it idles at 5 grand. I know its an air leak but were?

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Once you get the idle fixed you should do some jet work. I run 360 on the outside and 370 in the middle. I started with 400's like slp said and i couldnt run but five minutes and it would foul plugs. Good luck getting her going. It will be worth the headaches once shes running right.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
98ultra,

what temps do you ride in and what is your riding style? I just want to make sure that if I used your jetting setup that I wouldn't meltdown.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am running 380-390-380 on mine. I am in Muskegon Michigan. For some reason SLP wants the middle cylinder leaner, but I found that I needed my middle cylinder richer to balance them out.

I would probably run 370-380-370, but I don't want to be cought out in really cold weather and have to rejet. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ride in -10 to +30 temps. What would you recomend?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My center cylinder is the one with the leak!!! But Why???? Does the hole that the coil holder goes in on the intake go all the way thru like on the phazers?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ride in lower michigan. I trail ride with my family but when i go with my buddies its nothing but full throttle. They like to drag race, so whenever there is a straight away we usually drag race for hours on end. Each sled is different so you have to do some testing yourself. Check your plug color and more importantly check your piston wash. So do some testing and youll probably find out that youll be able to jet down. Do it slowly. dont just drop 3 jet sizes when you do your testing. Like gedertr said, youll probably run somewhere around 370/380's.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No, the hole does not go all the way through.

To check on the air leak, use some spray electronics cleaner. Put on the red plastic tube so you can get it right where you want it.
1. Spray at the PTO crank seal
2. Spray some into the timing port on the MAG end
3. Spray around each individual carb

If the engine speeds up when you spray, that is where the leak is.
Are the carb vents attached to the airbox?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the leak. It was the rubber nipple that covers one of the tubes that come out of the carb. Once I fixed that she idled right down. I took her out for a 33 mile ride tonight and just got home. it was 30 outside and when see warmed up she was running rich. I'll probably start out with 380's for jets.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Feels pretty good when you spot the problem and get it fixed eh?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jetting and suspension work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts