Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1997 xlt sp 600, the red spring is in position #2. It seems as if the pressure required to rotate and back off the inner sheave is not as much as it should be. To compare, the inner sheave on my 1996 skidoo MXZ 440 is definitely a 2 hand job to rotate, on the polaris it seems to take much less effort.

The spring is stock original and its 2-1/2" OD x 4" long (without the spring tabs which go into the holes. Once its out of hte clutch I can compress it right down so that all the coils touch each other easily with 2 hands.

Is it time to replace the spring? Do they go weak with time/use?
Should I get the red spring again? Im not looking for any race mods or anything like that I just want it to work the way it should.

RoyalDistributing has some EFI springs, but they talk of 2-1/2" load and 1-1/4" load and its got me confused. Are the EFI springs color coded to the Polaris springs too?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by 1997 XLT SP
[br]On my 1997 xlt sp 600, the red spring is in position #2. It seems as if the pressure required to rotate and back off the inner sheave is not as much as it should be. To compare, the inner sheave on my 1996 skidoo MXZ 440 is definitely a 2 hand job to rotate, on the polaris it seems to take much less effort.
Polaris 2ndary cluches are way weeker than a ski-doo i think they run about 8 lbs and ski-doo more like 22 check in your manual of if you realy think its to week buy a new one they arent that much

1 - 2 of 2 Posts