Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word from my buddy. He got in an accident last march break while on a sled. He ended up 300 yards from where he hit and he wasn't wearing a helmet. He just got results from his MRI and turns out he is in even worse shape than expected. He has a cut inside his brain and if he has any more head trauma he will be either eating through a tube or in a casket. Don't be stupid guys, wear a helmet. My buddy is now screwed for life over a split-second decision.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I alway wear mine. No matter if I am playing or riding. It only takes a fraction of a second to change your life.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I wear my helmet most of the time. I just don't where it when i'm only gonna be on it for a minute or something.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
When it comes to sledding, I always make it a point to wear mine as well. I don't even want to think of the road rash I could have had from sliding half way across a highway without my helmet! [xx(]

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
A year later and he just gets his MRI results???

Anyways, yeah I always wear my helmet. I don't even think about grabbing it anymore, just automatically grab it on my way out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i almost always wear my helmet except for on my street and in my backyard

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wear my helmet just like I always wear my gloves and jacket!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Had friend die last summer from a split second decision to not wear a helmet!! He said he was only going down the road quick and that fast it was all over!!!

It is a stupid decision not too and I will and I'm sure he would say the same thing!!

DW

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have another horror story too. My dad's friend was on the lake with his helmet, but without it buckeled and hit a pressure crack. The first impact saved his head but the helmet rolled off and the second, third, and how many times he didnt have a helmet on his head after left him in the hospital over Christmas and soon after in a cemetery.

It isnt enough to wear it you NEED to buckle it up too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
300 Yards???? or 300 Feet. He must have been having headaches or something to go back for the MRI. The dude better be careful.
What did the sled look like after?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There wasn't much left of the sled. He was on an F%, first weekend riding when it happened. The seat, hood, gauges, skis, .... were all in diffrent places. If it wasn't attached really good, it was off the sled. Crazy stuff man.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i agree that a lot of people dont bukle their helmets which makes it completely useless anyways.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
take it from me wear your helmet. even if your riding an atv. I got lucky and lived, I cant count how many plates I have in my face. the hole bone structure of my face was broke laying about 1/4 of an inch down and tilted to the left. I could wiggle my top jaw like a puppet. 14 hours of surgery. Im just like many people I was on an atv and was just checking out my grandpas farm. (didnt need a helmet). ya right.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I always wear my helmet even for the shortest rides. Today i went to get my steering recall and parked my sled in front. Talked to dealer and he said to bring it around back so i put on my helmet and drove a couple hundred feet. Its a good habit to get in to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thats right wear your helmets. One of my buddies friends was killed last year running on the Ottawa river near Fitzroy Harbor. He was drunk to boot. Showing off his new MachZ to his buddies. they figure he was doing about 90 mph when he hit a snow bank where a guy had plowed out to his ice fishing shack. What a waste

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
A few times I forgot to put it on just turning around in the yard and stuff, but as soon as I started going I realised it because it was much louder. You may think its cool leave it off going for a quick rip but just think of what you'd leave behind, think of what your family would do without you.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Last week when I was running our local trails on an ATV getting GPS tracks of them, I had one of they guys with me poke fun at me for putting my helmet on. I just looked at him and told him... "I have two little girls and a wife that want me to be home tonight. Too many things could go wrong while I'm banging through the ditches and fields."

He shut about the helmet. If I would have already had the tekvest I ordered, I would have worn that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts