Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 XLT with a stud hole in the front heat exchanger. Can I just drill the rivets out and replace it or do I have to pull the motor to get to the clamps or something like that?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Need to pull the motor to get to the clamps. Also need to remove the driveshaft/track/suspension to get to the rivets. Not an easy job.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crap.. that is what I thought.. I got the track out and I welded the exchanger but the stud cut through near the top of the exchanger and must of punched though both sides. I put the cooling system pressure checker thing on and it is leaking from the back.....

The worst thing is that I have to tear apart my other parts XLT to pull it out of that one and put it in my good sled..... CRAP CRAP CRAP!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Shyt azz job, especially if the driveshaft is rusty. Plan on reaplcing the driveshaft bearing and speedo key while you are in there. A good gear puller makes removing the bearing alot easier if it is rusted on there.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
^^ Yeah, true dat...

And give yer skid a good once over looking for cracks too. Best to fix stuff before it breaks in use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after tearing both of my machines apart and a day of work, I got the heat exchanger replaced. It turns out that the 94 XLT heat exchanger is not the same as the 97. So I had to make a conversion bracket out of some stainless sheet metal to make it work but it looks professional.

I got a new left side bearing for the jack shaft/drive-shaft because it was shot. the sealed bearing in the chain case is good so I am not replacing that. I also have a new seal and o-ring for the chain case.

So now more questions,

how do I get the motor back into alignment? Looking at everything it seems like I should just bolt it back in and go but I am guessing it is not that easy. any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok just did some reading.... More questions,

I have electric starts so an alignment tool will not work?

I didnt take the mounts off the motor so do I have to realign it?

Should I just do the straight edge method with the 1" offset?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yes, you need to realign the motor.. It can move as much as 1/16th", and can be twisted. That can be enough to start snapping belts.

Ba careful to properly set the torque stop when you reinstall too.. Doesn't do any good to realign the clutches, if the motor can move and put them back out of alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts