Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ask questions mainly related to the wedge chassis.

·
Registered
634 Posts
will a storm 800 or xcr 800 engine fit in my 88 indy 650? Without to much modding. Im not afraid to fab stuff up but my resources are limited. and whats the biggest lug track i can get on this 88 650 with 96 studds.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im pretty sure that you will have to move motor mounts. And then the next question is will the pipes fit.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the 800 xcr engine will fit in there real nice, the storm engine will be a pain. if done right there is a chance that the stock gen 2 pipes from an xcr might fit as well. the storm pipes will not fit. if putting in the xcr engine your best bet is to call htg or jaws and ask for a set of pipes.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
littlemel said:
Ask questions mainly related to the wedge chassis.
Your saying you can tell us about wedges?

·
Registered
411 Posts
madcow said:
the 800 xcr engine will fit in there real nice, the storm engine will be a pain. if done right there is a chance that the stock gen 2 pipes from an xcr might fit as well. the storm pipes will not fit. if putting in the xcr engine your best bet is to call htg or jaws and ask for a set of pipes.
The Storm motor might not be that bad. I put a Storm motor into a 94 XLT chassis and also a 96 Ultra chassis. I used stock pipes on the XLT and PSI modblasters on the Ultra. The Ultra chassis with the HTG Storm motor was a blast!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I'm just putting a list if stuff together, to turn a 96 RXL into a grass drag sled.

My intent is to mill the heads, port, bore (if the nikasil is worn), pipe, clutch, and go from there.

Since I can remap the EFI, I can use any pipes that fit into the chassis that the engine will run on.. What pipes can I use for this?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you might be able to find some old used 650 race pipes? the old grass dragers use to wind the 650 up to the 10,000 rpm area and compression close to the 200 lbs area.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
madcow said:
you might be able to find some old used 650 race pipes? the old grass dragers use to wind the 650 up to the 10,000 rpm area and compression close to the 200 lbs area.
I was thinking about that...

If I wanted to run 10k, I'd end up having to balance and true the crank, and line bore the case, and a bunch of other work, correct? That's outside my budget.... (this is why I'm not boring uniess it's needed) The head milling and porting I can do at my dad's shop..

Would a set of 680/700 non VES pipes work? I see all sorts of pipes advertised as "for 600, 650, 700". Or are those people just effed up in the head and incorrectly advertising?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the crank work is cheap, all you have to do is have it inspected, aligned and welded. 100-200 bucks should take care of that. no need to work on the case other than porting it. I wouldnt trust any pipe other than a used drag race pipe for a 650.

·
Registered
634 Posts
who made pipes for the 650? i know DECKER and AAEN and i think DG. who else if any?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Back in the 90's, pretty much everyone sold pipes for the 650's. (they were all pretty much made by 1 or 2 manufacturers tho)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Back in the 90's, pretty much everyone sold pipes for the 650's. (they were all pretty much made by 1 or 2 manufacturers tho)
Then how come i cant seem to find any pipes for my sled. I have a set of deckers but wanted to try somethin else for the hell of it. I have the stock single pipe. any one make just a can for it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just did ebay and craigs list. dont want to spend a lot just looking for something different. My deckers are nice but are illegal up here in terms of sound. Made it all last year with one ticket and 2 warnings. I like the sound of the aaen pipes. were have you been searching and seeing pipes?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
arent most triple pipes gonna get ya in trouble? we dont have those laws around here so i really dont know.
whe you search craigslist do you just search your local area?
theres at least 2 set on vintagesleds.com right now. just saw one listed the other day think theyre psi, i know a dg set was listed just a week or so ago, and there was a complete motor with a set of aaens, but he may just sell the pipes who knows.
just go to vintagesleds.com and go to classified section
type in polaris pipes in search box.
id try and link ya to it but id have it all bunged up, me and computers dont work so well together.http://www.vintagesleds.com/classifieds/classifieds.php?search=polaris+pipes
can try that link hope it works

·
Registered
634 Posts
thanks for the link. never seen that site before. cant believe they still get that much for old pipes. on craigs list, well actually criag look.com you can do a nation wide search. maybe im just not typing in the right words

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Triple pipes that go into a stock or a quiet can won't cause noise issues. My storm has triple pipes from the factory, and don't give me an issue.

But pipes with stingers shouldn't be used on public trail systems. They will irritate property owners, and get the interest of cops.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ya im running decker race pipes so the cops up here dont like me. We dont do much night riding so i figure im ok there.
In the pic i know theres only two pipes but the third one was still wet with paint so it didnt make the pic.
2010329214238808_30823.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts