Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k sorry for long post in advance see if you can help me out:p i think i might of broken a cv joint but unsure. i will check passenger side tomorrow. thanks for any tips guys
i bought a 2002 gmc 1500 z71 it had 140000kms on it when i bought it. now up to 175000kms. so heres what happened i think. 2 nights ago i was unloading a snowmobile in my yard had to go through into the ditch so it was easy. so when i was coming out of the ditch i put it in 4 low because of the grade and i know these trans are not all that tuff. so when i got outta the ditch stopped on the road clicked it back to 2wd and it made a loud bang driverside front. now i just noticed when in 4wd it makes a metal on metal sound not all the time only around 45km/h roughyl give or take. i am baffled as the wheel bearing is only a year old on that side and has no play (just checked) i do know however that the front diff has a bit of a low groan when coming to a stop (has since i bought it) any ideas?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does it do it when you turn? If so prob your half shafts. Check your u joints on the front drive shaft too. If its neither of those and your bearing is good prob your diff.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yep same thing happened to my brothers. It the half shaft. There pretty expensive new and remade ones aren't very cheap either. I'd suggest calling a salvage yard or something. Save a lot of $$$ that way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i kinda figured it would be the half shaft just because of the way it disengauged that night it acted like it was bound then just bang released so it probably partly cracked in there or somthing just gotta find out which one now :( check tomorrow i guess

its too bad guys on a gm forum can only tell me they shift hard and loud if theres any load at all but no answer to my questions :p

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
You did not need 4-low for that application.

I could diagnose it but I am not good with trying to decipher words.. better at deciphering a recording or something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can try and get a video. i used the 4 lo so i didnt chew up my neighbors grass as it is more like a flat lip that i had to go up and was just easier had it in 4 hi before but didnt wan2 slip trans much. i can describe it a bit better now. it is making a very tin sound like somthing scraping a piece of tin kinda odd. i will try tomorrow after work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts