Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that this is going to sound stupid but i really need it. My old man is being a dick and he is not leting me put a canister on my snowmobile, because he thinks that they are to loud. I told him that i would get one that was not really loud but he says "WELL I HAVE NEVER HEARD ONE THAT IS NOT SCREAMING LOUD". and if i find a recording of a raceing can and a trail can or just a not so loud of one i can get a canister. So here is my question does anyone know where i can get a recording or something to prove to him that not all canister a really loud? thanks a ton

·
Registered
837 Posts
try checking the manufactor sites that make canisters, and sometimes they have sound bits, but all cans are louder then stock even the ones that say quiet, but if you want one i think mbrp make a quiet can

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know that they are louder that is what i want, i just don't want one that you have to wear ear plugs with. thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
what year, model, and make of sled?

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you bought the sled with your own money and you are paying for the canisters, then yes your Dad is being a dick.
If your Dad is paying for everything then you are the one who is being the dick, and you should be grateful.

Signed....a Dad who's kids still appreciate him.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
LOL... they must still be young...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey, the longer I can keep them from knowing that I am full of s**t , the better.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
good call...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
BTW: Since when did this sport turn into "whosever loudest wins".
Snowmobiles can be like women, the loudest ones can be the most trouble.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good call 500. Sleds, women, pipes, good call. I like it!

After having an Indy 500 with all sorts of trail mods (pipes, jetting, clutching, UFO's in the carbs, M-10 suspension), all I ended up with was a loud 500 that ran good only under a very certain set of circumstances. When it went, it went like a raped ape. Otherwise it just tended to crap out pistons, a definite trail downer.

So, after such an experience, I decided that from now on, if I want a fast sled, I'll just buy a bigger one and keep it stock from the get-go. Simple. Runs great under almost any circumstances, and is plenty fast enough for me.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Right on MNelson,
I have read performance companies saying "your clutch, carbs, track, or whatever is being sold as completely wrong for your sled", these things are all a compromise for any conditions, well daaahhh, of corse they are a comprimise, we all ride in various conditions, they need to be set up like that.
More power to those super-tuners who have the knowledge and resource to set up their machine for the exact conditions, and the companies that building the high performance parts for them, but I want to ride, so it's stock for me all the way....well I hear good things about reeds, very snappy.
Sorry to rant right after you Mnelson, but your post is right on the nose.
I am currently working on a mounting bracket to get a Vortec V8 into a t-cat just to shut those guys up that say "my t-cat is too slow".
Sorry to dump on ya Hollamby99, guess if I had a sweet ride like your ZR 600 I would eventually have taken it for granted too.
My ride when I was 16 was a 1969 Ski-Doo Olympic sigle banger, it was lots of fun too.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
well when it comes to loud i know it well look at my 600 tripple decker race pipes. LOL so loud i cant even hear myself think when riding it but i love em none the less the pipes dont have a can but have the silencers on the end of each pipe

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Check out the virtual tour at www.maximumsled.com , they had silencers that you could turn on and off... probably pay through the nose for them, but there an option...

·
Registered
167 Posts
dude i have to say your dad might be right, you know of course to get the most out of a exaust mod you must change the jetting for the increased flow of the exaust or otherwise the sleds performance may suffer, also you can keep modifing a sled to the point of being usless, which someone else here said too, also do you think arctic cat dosent have a bunch of engineers on computers trying to make these sleds the best they can possably be? do you think you can out engineer these guys who do this for a living? also dont belive every thing you read about great HP gains from performance manufactures, most of them are a placebo effect, or almost unnoticible, if ya wanna go faster, there is no replacement for displacement !, so i gotta agree with dad, but you can start hinting at maybe a new 800 or 900, it will probally cost less than doing a full mod on the 600 and be faster too!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I don't recall him wanting to put a full exhaust sytem on (in which case you would need to rejet). He just wanted info on silencers (no jetting necessary). It just sounds like he wants something that will give the sled a unique exhaust note, without being obnoxiously loud.

Nothing about outsmarting AC engineers by modding the sled to the teeth for increased hp.

If you can convince your dad that all aftermarket silencers aren't rediculously loud hollamby99, then I say grab one. Look into the Quiet can by MBRP, or one from SLP. Both of these would give your sled a unique exhaust note, and won't bother the neigbors. Best of luck to ya.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know lots of guys want the loud throaty rumble, I agree that it sounds good, but there's something else to consider. It seems that every season there's another town that passes a bylaw about not riding through town during evening or night hours because those that don't ride find the noise extremely annoying.

For various reasons it's getting harder and harder to keep this sport alive, and this is just one more thing for the non-riding public to throw at us.

JMHO.

Jacqui.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts