Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !! In a older post, i mentioned that i had powervalve problem (not really a problem, just a broken wire) and this problem probably caused my sound problem but this sound is always there. This sound appeared after my clutch problem. I have check the three pipes cause i jump alot with the sled and i was thinking about a bad pipe connection. I dont have check other thing than that. Its a very acute sound that i can hear at 7000 RPM and more..

On the other hand, i didnt see a performance lost but its anormal..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will try with a better english :)) sorry

its a high pitched whistling noise that i hear at high rev (start at 6500) ... i know its not the clutch, or track or bearing, i have try it on a stand without the belt. Powervalve has been checked and cleaned. Didnt find a problem with pipes connection. Where to start checking now??? Like i said, the performances did not change but this sound is very abnormal, i dont want to worsen (good word???) the situation .... thx for you help...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I dunno, it could be a shot seal around a bearing and you are hearing air leaking into the crank, but I doubt it's that. I can't really think of anything else.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hmm, 6500-7000 rpm....isn't that about when your power valves open up? Make sure they are tight, good gasket if any, and that any o-rings or seals on the shaft are still there. I'm not too sure.

Check all hoses, maybe carbs have leaky connections, hoses, etc. , intake parts? Water pump? Does your water pump use a belt or not? Maybe it's slipping ( if it has one ). Checked springs on the exhaust system?

Something on your primary clutch maybe causing it to whistle? Leave the belt in, hood open, and crack it a few times. I'm just throwing out idea's. You'll have to narrow it down to the source of the whistle i guess.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, THX FOR YOUR help. I DOnt think whistle its a good word for the situation. the sound is more like a eletrical razor :)) One thing is sure, i need to change powervavle gasket and O-ring. You think that can cause this sound???

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd be checking the water pump and belt(if applicable) like Megaman suggested. Some people use a stethescope to try and locate where the sound comes from. Maybe try that or a funnel to determine where it is the loudest and it might point you in a direction to look.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Might also want to check your chain case and chain tension. Just another idea.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't understand why you said that can be the water pump??? Ca you explain why??? The water pump is electrical ??? Why just at HIgher REV??

Anyway i will check what you suggested this weekend, any other idea you welcome..

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've never seen an electrical water pump on a sled before but since there is an impellor in the pump that spins, it could be making a whinning/grinding noise if the bearing(s) is shot. Won't happen until the sled gets revved up, just like an auto. It was just a thought.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree. Your water pump should not be electrical if it is stock. Drag racers may use an electric pump to cool the motor while in the pits during cool-down. I'm know an SRX has a gear-driven pump that is driven off the crankshaft like Bman said.

·
Registered
948 Posts
He must have been thinking the windsheild washer motor.
J/K.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well if it sounds like an electric razor I would check the power valve servo motor. What year SRX is it? 2002 with DCS? been some problems where DCS always kicks in around a certain RPM range. Yours is probably an older one I am guessing though.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Sounds like an electric razor. I've had my hood vibrating once so it made that sound, but that was at an idle. It could be vibrating parts though. Chaincase cover, and things like that.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
506 Posts
when the signal from yer powervalve box thingy cuts off the valves should close all the way, what it might be is that there's something pushing the valve open, and the spring is pusing it back down?

na, that doesn't really make sense.

try to figure out what cylender it is, I would clean and replace the seals on you're powervalves. It shouldn't cost much and certainly won't hurt.

ya, the waterpump on SRX's is driven off the crank, no belts their.

I would check yer exhaust seals again just for good measure.

if the airbox has been off recently check it's seals to the carbs, and the carb to trasfer case seals.

also check your boostbottle seals, it should kick in somewhere around there.

I WOULD suggest soapy water, but it'd just steam off by then anyways.

I dunno if my ramblings have been any help, but I hope so, and I"m all out of ideas.

hope ya get her figured out, if ya get any more info, post her up, I hope we can get this figured out.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts