Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I deffinatly think that the cpu should has been disconnected before welding but i am a welder by trade and i can honestly say i have done lots of welding on cars with everything hooked up, i think the only way a current could get to your cpu is thru the ground, everything else should be isolated, but i'm not 100% on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
I am also a welder, I would have disconnected that. But like fonz said, it should all be insulated. As it should have been grounded right next to the spot that needed to be welded, so the current should have passed right from the weld to the ground clamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
seeing the size of the internals of a cdi, it wouldnt take much juice to backflow from the welders ground through the cdi looking for a better ground.

you welders ever have wet gloves or welding in the mud, you get a shock even though the ground is hooked up. same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any way to test the cdi for a short? Will a 98 cdi work on a 96. The connectors are the same but the wires are all different colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a way to bypass the kill switch/teather or any elctrical short in accessory circuit. I guess you cross the two non yellow wires that come righ from the stator. If that doesnt work then its ign related. Like a cdi/stator/coil/plug wire/ ect. I did this with no luck. How do you test a cdi or stator?

Please, any help with this would be much appreciated as I'd like to go hit the 10 inches of fresh powder we just got. I blew up my xcr so this tank is my only option.

Thanks!!!! :)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
im pretty sure to bypass everything you can just unplug it. also, about welding with things hooked up. i have welded on a ford ranger and have popped a breaker for the the fuel pump so it is posible you have fried the cdi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
madcow said:
seeing the size of the internals of a cdi, it wouldnt take much juice to backflow from the welders ground through the cdi looking for a better ground.

you welders ever have wet gloves or welding in the mud, you get a shock even though the ground is hooked up. same thing.
no true at all, i weld laying down in snow, rain, all weather and if it is a properly maintained machine with good cables there is no shock!

polarisripper28 said:
im pretty sure to bypass everything you can just unplug it. also, about welding with things hooked up. i have welded on a ford ranger and have popped a breaker for the the fuel pump so it is posible you have fried the cdi
yes it is very possible but not likely, but possible!! i just welded on my ranger, rotten leaf brackets! and had no problem with it all hooked up, but again it is possible to fry something, thats just the chance u take.

Moparfever4ever said:
I found a way to bypass the kill switch/teather or any elctrical short in accessory circuit. I guess you cross the two non yellow wires that come righ from the stator. If that doesnt work then its ign related. Like a cdi/stator/coil/plug wire/ ect. I did this with no luck. How do you test a cdi or stator?

Please, any help with this would be much appreciated as I'd like to go hit the 10 inches of fresh powder we just got. I blew up my xcr so this tank is my only option.

Thanks!!!! :)....
i believe you can use a simple digital volt meter to test them, not sure what the ohms or volts are supposed to be but i think a volt meter is the tool for the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
polarisripper28 said:
im pretty sure to bypass everything you can just unplug it. also, about welding with things hooked up. i have welded on a ford ranger and have popped a breaker for the the fuel pump so it is posible you have fried the cdi
This is 96, which is normaly open. The 98 is closed loop, were yes you can just unplug it like a polaris. That would be nice. I'm a ohm the stator tonight and see what I find. I guess there's no way to test a cdi, either it works or it dont is what my local shop told me.


i believe you can use a simple digital volt meter to test them, not sure what the ohms or volts are supposed to be but i think a volt meter is the tool for the job.
Yea, I found a test vid on youtube. I'm a go ohm it now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzz2NZiw3fk

Here's the jumper trick vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpzQL8J9ik&feature=related
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Fonz27 said:
madcow said:
seeing the size of the internals of a cdi, it wouldnt take much juice to backflow from the welders ground through the cdi looking for a better ground.

you welders ever have wet gloves or welding in the mud, you get a shock even though the ground is hooked up. same thing.
no true at all, i weld laying down in snow, rain, all weather and if it is a properly maintained machine with good cables there is no shock!
Who's to say it is or was a properly maintained machine? And even if it is, sh*t happens.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top