Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a set of Black Magic pipes off ebay about a year ago for my 440. I received the pipes and can, but soon realized it was not the correct setup for my snowmobile. I called black magic and ended up concluding they are not really for a 440, maybe something more along the lines of a 500 or 600. So I basically got screwed, and I can't really sell them because I don't honestly 100% know what they are, and I wont screw someone over like that. The guy from black magic said that the pipes are essentially the same, but the can is different. So, does anyone here know what the inside of a performance can looks like? Pictures would help if possible. Any 2-stroke pros in here know how much back pressure a 440 would need, or any calculations on how to come up with a can that would be suitable for me? I know I'm asking a lot, and that this will probably take a lot of research, but I figured I'd start here. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you all.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
your back pressure is made up in your expansion chamber (pipe). You still need a can because it still provides some back pressure. I made a can for my prox 440, i made it a little smaller then stock with the outlet being a tad smaller to, it sounds sweet and i havent had any problems or loss of power.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I didn't think I'd get a reply on this one. Do you have any pictures? Also, what does the inside consist of, and how did you determine what shape and size to make it? Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I rigged up a univeral race can from AAEN. They are aluminum and rebuildable. Nice sound to them and save a lot of weight. I didnt have to change my jetting at all, and noticed no loss. I actually think I gained some bottom and throttle response, but maybe thats just the BRRAAAPPP effect. Haha. Heres a vid clip.
[hr]http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/file.asp?id=10723&user=9006

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the aluminum silencers from aaen work.
[attachment=55303]
[attachment=55304]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i made mine out of 1/16th stainless steel with no baffles but i made the inside diameter about 1inch smaller then stock and the exhaust outlet about 1/4 inch smaller then stock. i will post pics of my can soon i cant seem to get them on the site becuase they are a bitmap?? image. If you PM me your email addresse i will send you pics and steps on how i built mine. id use aluminum if you are paying for it. i made mine for free as a student project during my co-op.[:D]
PS if anyone can help me put pics on the site it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts