Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any SF members will be in West Yellowstone starting Jan 29 to 31. I will be there and would enjoy meeting up with any members.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
sorry about a month early for me.... I'm going Feb 23rd. staying at Island Park.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'd love to get back there this year and ride with ya. I tried but the airfare was too just too much. Lots of skiers hitting the mts this time of year. Maybe next year. Have fun! Be sure you take the Black Canyon loop trail. Everyone I met just raved about it. I ran out of time.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Just over a month late for me. I was there Dec. 26-29.

At any rate, I hope you have a blast. Oh, and hopefully they have had more snow since...there wasn't as much as usual when we were there...
[attachment=54056]

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ride West alot, live in Bozeman.. Would like to get down there this weekend, but being a college student here is one of the hardest things I've ever done. No money and great snow. Oh well...Hope you have fun, check out black canyon if you like boondocking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gonna miss ya by a couple of weeks. I'll be there from 2/12-2/17.

If you get a chance to let us know what the conditions are like.. Hopefully they'll be getting some more snow in the area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just returned a day early from the West Yellowstone area. We left early as the snow is poor. Mountain slopes were hard packed. No deep powder. Just beat up trails into the mountains. They need more snow and have not been getting any. Highmarking does not exist as you can climb to the summit of the mountains on a indy trail.

I did get to test ride a dragon RMK. Does everything very good.
Watched 2 - 1000 summits bet spanked good by the Dragon on hard packed slopes. The dragon was stock except for a SLP pipe and can. SLP pipe does not do much for top end but improves midrange I am told. The summits were given a 80 ft lead but the Dragon beat them both up a short mountain slope (45 degrees or so).
Not sure what would happen on powder slopes.

My advice for thoughs who are planning to go is the check with the West Yellowstone chamber of commerce to find out about snow conditions before you go. Unless they get alot of new snow and it keeps coming you can forget about enjoying powder. Canadian Rockys around Fernie have a 126 cm base. Most sleding areas in Canadian Rockys are excellent as usual.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by 500EFISKS
[br]Just returned a day early from the West Yellowstone area. We left early as the snow is poor. Mountain slopes were hard packed. No deep powder. Just beat up trails into the mountains. They need more snow and have not been getting any. Highmarking does not exist as you can climb to the summit of the mountains on a indy trail.

Watched 2 - 1000 summits bet spanked good by the Dragon on hard packed slopes. The dragon was stock except for a SLP pipe and can. SLP pipe does not do much for top end but improves midrange I am told. The summits were given a 80 ft lead but the Dragon beat them both up a short mountain slope (45 degrees or so).

My advice for thoughs who are planning to go is the check with the West Yellowstone chamber of commerce to find out about snow conditions before you go. Unless they get alot of new snow and it keeps coming you can forget about enjoying powder. Canadian Rockys around Fernie have a 126 cm base. Most sleding areas in Canadian Rockys are excellent as usual.
Hey thanks for the update! I am heading to the mountains in two weeks with a couple of bud's and we are currently setup in some log just out of Laramie Wyoming. It doesn't sound like there is much snow there so We are looking for a back up plan. I was considering West Yellowstone until I read your thread.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by 500EFISKS
[br]Just returned a day early from the West Yellowstone area. We left early as the snow is poor. Mountain slopes were hard packed. No deep powder. Just beat up trails into the mountains. They need more snow and have not been getting any. Highmarking does not exist as you can climb to the summit of the mountains on a indy trail.

Weather report for W. Yellowstone in the the next 10 days has snow starting Wednesday night and snowing every day for the next 8 days. I think they're getting the snow they wanted. [:D]

I'd double check before writing W. Yellowstone off your plans. 500EFISKS time there appears to be a case of extremely bad timing, that's all. They average 500" of snow a year there. Average! For those in Rio Linde, that's over 41 feet baby. If airplane tickets weren't so frickin high right now, I'd be planning a return trip... today. I'm obviously biased about the area, but I'm not alone either. [:D]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with ya pierre.. I've been looking at the weather every day for the past month.

Hey, its only money.. go ahead and spring for the ticket and meet us out there. We're heading out this Monday (2/12) and staying til Saturday (2/17).

I'm glad to see the snow in the forecast. I have to admit I was getting a bit concerned, especially after seeing 500EFISKS post. Like you said.. Sounds like a bit of unfortunate bad timing. Hopefully the snow gods will be kind and deliver what the weatherman is predicting.

On my first trip there.. "about five years ago" they had very little snow and the trails were like washboards and beat us to death and you could forget about any powder riding. My last trip "two years ago" it was awesome.. standing chest deep in snow and if you stopped your sled you needed a kick stand to keep it from settling into the powder *AWESOME* snow that year. Maybe this year will be a repeat.. or at least a happy medium.

I hope to have plenty of pictures for you folks in a couple of weeks when I get back home.. That is.. if I decide to come home.. I love that place.. I think I'll retire there..

Make an offering to the snow gods for us !!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ah, you're killing me Greg! Believe me, I'd jump at the chance to get back out there but ticket prices are 3 times higher now than they were just a month ago. That means the transportation would cost me more than the rest of the trip all together. I'm a snowmobile fanatic, but not crazy. [:D]

Have a great time, I'll be with you in spirit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts