Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 19 year old kid has been another victim of avalanche near West Yellowstone! I have seen many post recently of people heading over this way and wanted to make sure it isnt somebody we know. Just caught it on the news saying he was from Michigan/Minnesota and hope it isnt a friend or family of people from this site. If any of you decide to come this way be warned there is alot of snow and avalanches are prominent. I went out today and was suprised at how much snow we have 20 minutes from where I live. We were breaking trail in 2+ ft of fresh with another 2/3 foot base I havent been stuck that much since last year[:p].
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,272 Posts
That was on two top MTN in west yellowstone. Have to be careful out there with all this new snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
just found out a bit ago there was an avy in my own backyard yesterday. (bighorns). nobody hurt but sad to see it happen again and again.

here are some pics of the one that happened near bear lodge.

[attachment=54012]

[attachment=54013]
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,650 Posts
I was actually in town when it happened (I'm presuming it's the same Avy in West). I was at the rental shop getting another sled, and the guy helping me was asked to suit up. He ran by saying "I hate avalanche rescues." and then continued to hop on a sled.

That was about 12:30-1:00pm. We dropped our sleds off at around 4:30, and he just got back while we were still standing there. The look on his face didn't look to cheerful, so I figured it didn't go all too well. Sad story...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]I was actually in town when it happened (I'm presuming it's the same Avy in West). I was at the rental shop getting another sled, and the guy helping me was asked to suit up. He ran by saying "I hate avalanche rescues." and then continued to hop on a sled.

That was about 12:30-1:00pm. We dropped our sleds off at around 4:30, and he just got back while we were still standing there. The look on his face didn't look to cheerful, so I figured it didn't go all too well. Sad story...
What was wrong with the first sled! Sorry to hear about the death!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,650 Posts
We stopped for dinner back in West, we went to take off again, and I snapped the recoil rope. We pulled it back to the shop, they gave me another sled, and we were back on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
19-year-old dies in avalanche
WEST YELLOWSTONE — A Minnesota snowmobiler died after an avalanche near here buried him, Gallatin County authorities said.

Josh Scepaniak, 19, of Avon, Minn., was caught in the avalanche Thursday on Lionhead Mountain and died of asphyxia, Coroner Duncan MacNab said. Companions uncovered Scepaniak after he was beneath several feet of snow for about 5 minutes.

The fatality was the second avalanche death in Montana this winter, said Ron Johnson of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center.

Another snowmobiler also was caught in the avalanche, but was not buried.

West Yellowstone search-and-rescue workers who reached the scene nearly two hours after receiving a call found people still administering mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to Scepaniak.




Post a Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article does not have any comments associated with it




Originally published December 31, 2006

Print this article Email this to a friend Subscribe Now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another fatality yesterday outside of Yellowstone a 24/25 year old from Utah got caught in another slide. His friends and family were high marking one of the mountains when the slide came down.Search and rescue helped but to no good he was dead when they found him under the snow.I know alot of you take trips out to Island Park and Yellowstone just watch yourselves this is the third fatality in that area this year already![V]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by Russ172
[br]19-year-old dies in avalanche
WEST YELLOWSTONE — A Minnesota snowmobiler died after an avalanche near here buried him, Gallatin County authorities said.

Josh Scepaniak, 19, of Avon, Minn

I talked to one of my best friends from high school last night. Josh was his cousin. Sad deal. I guess they were on a family trip that they take every year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]just found out a bit ago there was an avy in my own backyard yesterday. (bighorns). nobody hurt but sad to see it happen again and again.

here are some pics of the one that happened near bear lodge.

[attachment=54012]

[attachment=54013]
I was at this hill a few hours after the slide first time I have been to a slide that sonn after it happened!! Seeing the tracks up the hill and seeing the slide above them is really kind of a scary feeling!!

DW
 

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top