Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if we have a dry winter like last year i will spend my riding time making a sled. trying to think of a hood and belly pan to use i thought why use one at all. looking at some of the other custome sleds they just run a belt inclosure and a skid plate. i would make a dash piece for the windshield and lights and gauges. i would use the engine from the xcr and most of the shocks and skis seat tank airbox drive train. i would like to make a high speed trail machine. a mogul masher i dont mind a high riding sled with tons of travel as long as it rides nice and isnt tippy. what are some things you people would like to see from a custom sled if you made your own?

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
For high speed the hood really helps out in the drag coefficient department, I wouldn't be without one unless you are mountain climbing and every ounce counts. Those clear CMX hoods are really cool...I think that's CMX that has those.

So your going to start with a bare chassis a bulid from there?
Sounds like fun...but spendy. Lots of cheap trail sleds for sale right now with no snow on the ground.

If I were to build a sled it would be for mountain riding.
I'd take an old 1976 Panther chassis and strip it down to the tunnel and start from there, they are light narrow as a ski for sidehill'n. 156" paddle track, add heat exchangers and drop in a 700 polaris engine, move fuel tank from tail to between the knees, raise riding position with a REV seat and RMK standup bars and keep the heavy fibergalss hood, the thing will be light enough anyways.

I remember riding an old 72 Olympic when the ski broke off, just strapped the ski to the running board and lean over all the way home, she went great like that

Here's a cool looking custom job.

http://www.mountainsled.com/polgen.htm

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like the look of those cmx hoods and had thought if any to use that one. i will be going at it back wards. i will bemaking my own chassis and robbing parts off salvage sleds. making the trailing arms and rear suspension. i have done a lot of research and looked at all the chassis makers out there and like a lot of things each one has done.in the future when the chassis is all tuned in i would like a psi 1200. argargarg.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I would want a lot of HP.

If it ain't broke,
change stuff till it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts