Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly are the differences between the regular 8" suspension and the xtra 10 and xtra 12's, and if i were to put a xtra 10 or 12 in my 94' xlt what would i all have to do to make it work?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Complicated question. The XTRA-10 and 12 are coupled suspensions. All previous suspensions, including the XC-100 that was stock in your '94 XLT, are not coupled. The XTRA-10 is an aggressive, rising rate, suspension. The 12 is a falling rate, trail suspension. The XTRA-10 can be bolted into your machine if you modify/move the mounting brackets. See the sticky topic at the top of the Polaris forum.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The front of the rear skid all depends on what skid you had in before. XC-100 or XC-101 just move the front mounting hole up. Dial adjust you have to move the front mount hole forward and up which requires moving the front mount plate forward.

You said you have an 94 XLT, so I think you have XC-100 or 101, so all you would need to do is move your front mount hole up so it is 4 1/2 inches down from the top of the tunnel (usually the next hole up in the bracket) and move you rear mount hole so it is 23" center to center from the front and 5 1/4" down from the top of the tunnel.

Here is the link to a great write up.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/articles/default.asp?cid=2&aid=15

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
With the xtra10 you'll not have to do much for the front. Better shocks. For the xtra12, you'll need to replace the front to match. The xtra10 and xtra12 are completely different skids.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I am not sure you can just bolt the front suspension parts from an XTRA-12 onto an older machine. I know the trailing arms from a '95 will not fit. I do not know about the later XTRA-12 fronts. I am sure somebody on here has asked this before, and somebody knows the answer. Try a search if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I'm not sure about the extra 12 front either. Just wanted to let you know I have an extra 12 rear skid with fox shocks for sale.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't try to put an x-tra 12 front end in a standard wedge sled. The X-tra 12 uses different shock towers and it won't work properly. Do an x-tra 10 swap, here is the info: (Just a note: swapping your old style spindles for newer style will add 2" of clearance)

Contact Jeff at Outdoor Supply regarding the swap. His e-mail is [email protected]
I went with the whole lightweight front end kit, but the trail arms themselves are $215us. You can use any x-tra 10 trail arms or you can use your stock trail arms if you make some custom bushing/rubber mounts for the shock mount. You definitely need to take out the sway bar(lot's of guys take them out anyway for better sidehilling) and replace the tie and radius rods. And then find yourself some used x-tra 10 Fox gas shocks/springs, but remember that some are actually shorter than others. The best are off of XC's because they measure around 15.75" eye to eye.

[attachment=12225][attachment=21993]

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts