Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just bought this sled off ebay for 125 bucks, havent actually seen it yet, will probably pick it up this weekend, if anyone can give me an idea of what year, model, etc it might be, let me know

[attachment=49454]
[attachment=49455]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My friend has an old jag, that looks a lot like it. If I find out anything I will let you know

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
79 Jag? From looking at pictures I changed what I thiought. Looks to be from possibly 79-82? I am not sure. Just what I thought after digging around a little.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy said it was a 440, 75 sounds about right, im suprised it has twin mikuni's thats pretty sweet

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I'd say mid 80's judging by the plastic on the cylinder heads, but I can't say I have ever seen a jag with that hood before.

Once you get it, look on the side of the tunnel, that will give you the manufacturers date and maybe the model.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
it is definetley a mid 70's sled, look at the gas tank, that was the tanks tyle for cats back then, in the late 70's they were bigger plastic ones, that motor looks to be from a panther or pantera, but is what is throwing everyone off is the colors on the hood

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've got a '79 Jag and that's not it. Maybe a mid 70's el tigre?

After checking around more, I think I'm wrong about the el tigre part. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I'd say mutt![;)] Old chassis new motor bud.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i like that big air filter

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya looks like a jag 440 to me, couldnt tell u the year though. and that isnt plastic on the heads, that would be the tin schrouding for the air from the fan....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everything about it says '73 or '74 El Tigre'....except for that headlight. It almost looks like someone got creatvie with some fiberglass work on that hood. The tank looks like it has been painted too.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]I'd say mutt![;)] Old chassis new motor bud.
ditto, look at the clutch. thats a dead giveaway that its not a 70's sled. ill bet that engine is after cat went out of buisness and came back. late 80's

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ive spent awhile going thru all the brochures from the 70's and early 80's try to find something that looks like that sled and i cant find a thing.wierd. and that clutch looks like the same clutch as my 95 zr580 had

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by powder_special_900
[br]ya looks like a jag 440 to me, couldnt tell u the year though. and that isnt plastic on the heads, that would be the tin schrouding for the air from the fan....
def not a jag 440, didnt come out till 81, look snothing like it at all, the motor is def from the 70's you can tell by the fan, it gets close to old eltigre's panther and panteras, bet the area around the headlight is off[;)] belive me, i had a jag, nothin lik eit, getting a pantera, the motor looks close, but mines the 500

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright well here it is, the tunnel does say Arctic Enterprises, so its definately a cat, has a jag seat, el tigre snow flap, cleated track, 440 F/C twin, twin mikuni's , clutch looks like a comet 102 or something and it says john deere on it , the hood is custom built fro that head light, its a piece of sheetmetal riveted in. Got it running in about an hour tonite, cleaned the carbs, changed plugs, used some k&n cleaning stuff on that badass air filter and she fired right up, the first snow, this things going to the nearest bar, haha, that'll make it worth the hundred bucks alone [

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dont have a clue what the original sled was, haha

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Kind of reminds me of my buddies old 78 Cheetah. The tank and bars look the same and I think the hood similar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts