Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few years, we have had crap for snow, which is pretty said for Minnesota, This will be my third year with my indy 500 & ive barely used her at all, Just sunk ALOT of money into her just to sit & look at her... Ive been snowmobiling since i could walk & its tuff thinking i wanna give it up, but the past 2-3 years have brought me to making that decision... So heres the deal... Last year the motor died on me & needed to be rebuilt, so we got her rebuild an put back in the machine, Having a crappy winter made it hard for me to get out & fully break in the machine, long story short i didnt seat the rings in right & she was dead again.. After sitting for along time i decided to get the motor fixed just as winter ended.. over the summer the sled sat with about 5 miles on the new motor.. The sled was in ruff shape to begin with when i bought it, so i decided hey as long as im putten the money into new stuff might as well upgrade.. so instead of buying OEM parts i purchased a complete extra 10 Skid with a Remote resevior Fox shock.. this cost me over 400 bucks ! also i needed new carbides & ski skins since my old carbides snapped in half & ruined the skins.. so i purchased Polaris Plastic skis with carbides.. Thinking the sled was pretty much bullet proof from here on out i decided to give her a nice custom paint job & clean her up really nice for the upcoming season... well Winter is half way gone ! Where is our snow ? The grass is still Poken out in my yard !!!

After a snowfall of about 2 inches (if that) came i decided well what the hell, i can drive in the grass & the dirt road has iced over so i wont mess up my carbides to bad on my attempt to get to the pond down the road & try out the sled.. Long story short She fired up right away & ran beautifully all the way to the pond & about 15 min of play. Taking into consideration that the motor hasnt been broken in yet i wasnt to hard on her, The only downfall i had was no traction lol & with the extra 10 it made it hard to steer on ice, anyways i got i got outta the pond & decided to go down the state trail to get some fresh gas, cruisen at about 40-50 MPH on a long straight, i managed to Blow up the motor !!! WTF !!![:(!]
So on my long walk home i thought about what i would do, & i cant bring myself to making the decision... do i A. Keep the sled, rebuild/get new motor & hope next year we actually get snow.. or B. Try an sell a Dead sled an most likely take a huge loss... or C part her out & hope i can make back some of the money i put into her[:(]

For those of you who havnt seen my sled here is a couple pics i took on the trail when she went...

·
Registered
295 Posts
get a better mechanic to work on it??...lol j/k
me personally I have never heard of seating the rings on a 2 stroke cars absolutely especially if they are chrome moly
you need to find out why this sled is blowing up is it overheating?
is it not getting oil like a bad oil pump? or out of adjustment
or bad crank seals or crankcase halves not sealed right?
thats why I always pressure test every motor I do at work

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something sounds very wrong there. My dad's 500 got rebuilt and it was only run twice last season, but it never needed the rings replaced. If there was oil mixed in the gas and it wasn't run WOT for a half hour straight, it should not have a problem. It doesn't matter how much time it sits between runs during break in; it only matters what was happening WHILE it was running. It sounds like something is wrong with that motor or the way it was rebuilt if it failed again right after a rebuild.

·
Registered
295 Posts
as far as what to do now is up to you but if you decide to sell let me know

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have no idea what to do, id love to keep it but, winters are only getting worse here in MN... also if i sold it i dunno what i could get out of it.. it would be hard for me to let the body panels go, let alone put a price on them.

as for the motor, it has been leaking coolent out of the top, but i have always kept it filled.. as far as getting oil i have no idea as i havnt ran her long enough to notice if its using any..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh an to answer the other questions... no i didnt purchase wiseco pistons, & by blowing it up i meant, the engine is siezed up, when i yank on the recoil it wont move at all...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Always mix the gas after a rebuild, and make sure the oil lines are bled of any air bubbles. Carb boots crack and leak in air which can seize an engine. Heck, with the cheap parts you can find on ebay it would be a couple hundred bucks to fix it up near new.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah is it a 4 corner scuff a lean burn a hole in the top of the piston.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Memphis
[br]Yeah is it a 4 corner scuff a lean burn a hole in the top of the piston.
lol huh [?]

the gas was mixed ! my carbs were fine.. i havnt checked her out yet so i havnt came to a conclusion as to how this happened..

lol my sled does make me happy lol when we have snow..

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had the same sled a couple of years back, I was 17. Bought it, blew it up, got ripped off on a rebuild only to have it blow up the first time I rode it. No warranty. Rebuilt it myself. Rode it another couple of times and blew it up.

I parted it out and upgraded. It had a slit in the oil line, and when running at higher rpm's it would suck in air, so if I shut down right away, it would loose oil when the air bubble went further along. Found that out when I took it apart. Old Hoses. I wasted alot of money on that sled, and IMO getting rid of it was the best thing.

Good luck on your decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts