Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[}:)]i dont get what some riders think, its like once they get on there sled there brain falls out, when you drive your car do you take the inside of a corner if its not your lane, when you come up on a hill do you go fast as you can in the middle of the road and hope no one is coming. i litterally did not put one trail mile on last winter because it is getting scary out there. everyone seems to have this racer wanna be attitude on the trails. some days i like to just go out and putz on the trails take in the sights, play around, not get any where just ride. then end up spending the day dodging sleds, sitting on the edge of the trail you have to worry about getting hit people are flying by so fast, i like to fast also, i have gone well over 100 on the trails in michigan, but once you see a head light you shut her down and move over, i know from the people on this sight i am singing to the choir and i am proud of that fact, that there is a group of people who actually care. its also nice to have a group of poeple who care more about the sport than there brand, i am sure everyone teases there off brand buddys but at least here all you guys and gals seem to be adults. lets just get the other morons hurting our sport to change or get off the trails.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i agree with the trails thing. Exactly the same thing happening here in MB. got run off the trail more then once last year. I do my best to avoid them. stick to the ditches and creaks. I love to sled but I don't want to die for it!

Rich

·
Registered
290 Posts
I hear you madcow, i've seen the same things on the MI trails. also the lakes are getting crazier too. too many people driving their sleds to the bar, passing their limits, then attempting to drive home. last winter we had a sledder drive into a dock, which was marked by reflectors and lights. its a sad story, too many people seem to be in the sport for the speed, and for nothing else. it might be interesting this year, with the snowmobiling boom that seems to be going on. is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people who have never riden are suddenly going out and buying brand new sleds? hopefully they'll learn a little safety and use some common sense and not make matters any worse than what they already are in some places.
btw, where are you from in MI madcow?
-Scott

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yeah its pretty crazy out there. i admit i go fast on the trails, fireroads and lakes but i have the sence to make sure nothings coming. if i see lights i slow down and keep as close to the edge as posible. theres not many ppl around here that have sleds so its not a real problem yet.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
agreed...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
When my family goes with me I always ride first in line. That way at least when they come at me I can get out of the way. Then they swerve to avoid me and by the time they get to my wife some 200 ft behind me they are hopefully on their side of the trail by now and she doesn't have to avoid them. I'm not sure she'd get out of the way fast enough. Riding around some of the local trails i don't worry as much. But on the ITS trails I worry plenty. Approaching sleds at 50 mph is still a 100 mph collision.[:0]

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's bad here in Ontario too. I've been sledding since about 1969 and there have been a lot of changes in the sleds themselves and the attitude of some drivers.
On the average I would say about 85% to 90% are pretty responsible drivers but there are those few who just scare me to death. Too much sled for an inexperienced riders.
Also this year my daughter is getting her
Snow Vehicle Operator's License[/font=Andale Mono] she is thirteen, so something for the speed demons to think about there are alot of kids just starting out this year driving on the trails
so be careful and courteous make their first year of trail riding memorable not a nightmare.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Big time AGREE! What is the law for ridding age where you guys are from? Here in MN. if you were born after Oct. 1978 , You must take a 8 hr. class room training course. 12-15 year olds take both the written and driven test and 16 and older take just the written.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
there are no laws that im awear of here in nova scotia

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Even though I rarely ride trails, I think where ever you go you will find clowns like that. I can definetly understand how that would get old....real quick! and it's these nuthumps who give us all a bad name too...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are the requirements in Ontario

Course Requirements
Under the authority of the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act, The Ministry of Transportation has authorized the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) as an agent to issue Snow Vehicle Operator's License.

The following are course requirements:
12 yrs old at time of pre-registration
Minimum 6 hours of classroom instruction
Cost $30.00 (includes course material)
Upon successful completion of course exam a Snow Vehicle Operator's License will be issued.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the bar scene makes me just sick. it pisses me off to no end to go to the bar and get a bite to eat, and see all the sledders with cold engines on there machines outside, and its loud and everyone has a pitcher at there table inside. pulled a guy out of the ditch a couple years back coming home from yellow lake wis. he went over the bank almost into the river luckily a tree stopped him, took 4 guys pulling and one on the throttle to get the air cooled(light) sled up the bank. we didnt know he had been drinking, he sits on his machine and almost fall off, i thought he hurt his head checked on him and he stunk of boose. i wanted to steer him back over the ditch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts