Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how about a honda i want a 2x4 no need for a 4x4 i am looking at some hondas like the 300ex how about the yamaha blaster are those fun machines not really looking for a mud boggin machine just something to go out and have some fun on maybe take it camping

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or hows the 2003 polaris trail blazer is it a dependable unit

·
Registered
699 Posts
300 ex will run about 50 mph or more and are very fun machines blasters are really light machines and polaris one is a auotamatic

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've riden them both and they are alot of fun. I have far more experience on the yamaha Blaster, however, I also own a honda Big Red 3 wheeler. The Blaster is light, easy to throw around, and has very good torque for a 2-stroke engine. It lacks a little in top speed, but it carves a corner very nicely. The Honda also has great engine throttle response and the engine pulls strong. The Blaster is oil injected, so there is no need to mix your fuel. Between the two, i would choose the Honda because it is a 4-stroker and therefore should have a much longer life span as well as less maintenance, in my opinion. I've never ever had any mechanical problems on a Honda 4-stroke engine. Even my "old" Honda Big Red is 18 years old and the engine still runs great! (That includes a visit to the bottom of a lake!) Either way, they are both fun machines, but the primary difference between the two is the power plant.

Another thing to consider is the tranny. The Blaster and 300 EX both have a 5 speed gearbox. (Which i prefer!) Or if you got a Polaris trail blazer or something, you will have a belt-driven auto tranny, which is nice for some people who don't like to shift. Reverse to me is unimportant on small machines like this because i can easily lift them up or move them wherever i want it to go. They're pretty light weight. However, on bigger machines, reverse gear can be a life saver.

One thing you'll notice about sport quads is that the fenders are not very big, therefore don't block much mud and dirt, so if you want to stay clean while camping with your ATV, you may prefer a utility quad like the FourTrax with bigger fenders. Otherwise, i guarantee you'll see plenty of earth on your face. Plus, front and rear cargo racks are sure nice to have. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how is the torque on the hondas like the 300ex and the 400ex is it snappy like the blaster i looked at the dry weight honda 300ex vs the blaster 200 the blaster is 325 and the honda 300ex 377 but the honda is alittle more cc is the honda a more reliable motor then the yamaha i have heard very good things about the honda motors

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I had a 97 yamaha blaster and I loved it, their is tons of bolt on mods for them..They have good suspension,easy turning,great handling and very reliable..bolt on a aftermarket pipe some reeds on it and they can really scream, mine topped out at about 62-68mph with mods with a very snappy bottom end..A honda 300 ex is a good reliable quad to..Here is a pic of my blaster..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'd go with a 400ex, yes they are snappy for a 4 stroke. I used to have a a 99 blaster, to small for my style. Picked it up cheap blew it up and sold it for $100 more than I paid for it!! By size I mean the quad it's self, well the engine too for that matter....I think overall the 400 would be the better of the three your looking at, for numorous reasons.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the 400ex has the most "fun" power to it than the rest. I'd lean towards the 400 unless you are on a tight budget. And are u looking at new or used???

·
Registered
567 Posts
i have a 88 honda 300 2x4 utility will hit 45 and pull a house doin it. pulls wheelys 2-5th gear and can mud bog with all the 4x4s i love it but im goin to sell it. to get a banshee or lt250r or lt500rl.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I am looking right no think I may get a Honda 400EX. You can pick up a year or two old used one for like $3500. Not too bad when you look at new prices on other models. I really really wish the manufacturers made a good high power 2 stroker. SOmething like the Honda 400EX with a CR250 engine strapped in it. Well bigger bore than a 250 but similar design would work pretty well I bet. Right now the only 2 stroker I would consider is the Banshee and I just don't want one of those. I want a fun little trail machine that can run wiht some big boys (my buddy has a DS650) now and again. I want to give the Predator 500 a ride myself. People tell me its junk but hey who knows it may be a really good showing from Polaris?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
a friend of mine is the head mechanic for a polaris dealer he told me that the predator is pretty much junk he said my 2002 scrambler 400 2-stroke will smoke it i put a fmf pipe and silencer v-force reeds and a k&n filter on mine and my brother was following me up a road he said he got up to 75 mph and i was pulling away from him so it has plenty of power hard to keep the wheels on the ground even though its a automatic..with the hotseat kit for it i can make it smoke stock banshees it is a big machine but it corners sweet and jumps awesome and its nice having a 5 year warrenty

·
Registered
253 Posts
sorry cant picture the 400 scrambler with a pipe and clutch beating a banshee stock or not .My buddy had a 1999 scrambler 400 2 stroke 4x4 with clutch kit pipes and I rode it it beat the 400 ex but would never stand a chance against a banshee

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i never said a scrambler with a pipe and clutch would beat a banshee but with the hot seat 440 big bore kit in it,it will easily beat a stock banshee by 6-10 bike lenths...see for yourself if you dont believe it http://www.hotseatperformance.com/psp/showdetl.cfm?&DID=29&Product_ID=1955&CATID=82

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah that is straight from the guy selling you the kit :)and ofcourse he will say it will beat the fastest stock atv I will give the scrambler its dues it was pretty good because of it being a automatic and 4x4 it got a good holeshot

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Its not uncommon to hear about a scrambler beating a banshee or a ex...Im pretty sure a 65hp scrambler will beat a 32hp banshee with ease..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
just putting a few mods into my scrambler like pipe,reeds,filter just small things woke the machine up,it wont beat a banshee the way mine is now but it will pretty much keep up with it..
riding on most of the trails i ride on ill smoke any banshee just because the banshee sits so low with no ground clearance that it will bottom out hard crusing down most of the trails..not all scramblers are 4x4 either the 400's are a 2-stroke 2x4..dont get me wrong the banshee is a bad [email protected]@ atv and handles better than the scrambler,but i would trade mine for one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts