Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
cool topic, ida put it in the general section

ya im not mechanically inclined at ALL, so ill basically take it all to the dealer unless its super easy.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
depends on what it is so i cant vote. i do some of my own work and might have to take it in. i havent tooken my sled in yet but have only owned it for one season so far which is this season. i have replaced my carbides,chain,gears,cleaned my carbs, cleaned my airbox and taken it off, took off my undercarriage and put it back on, adjusted the track, took off my seat, and thats pretty much it. i am wanting to rebuild my engine but am sitlling wait for replys to see if i should or should not

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yeah i'd just do it myself cause the shop that's close to me charges $60 an hour and there is a line up of sleds that need fixed

·
Registered
353 Posts
Armed with a factory service manual, this online forum, and mechanical inclination there's little I'de leave for a dealership to take care of, in terms of labor on my sleds. [:)]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I usually do most of my own work, but since I'm at college right now and don't have a whole lot of options for fixing the sled anything major that happens I think I will bring it to a dealer, that or bring it home and wait till summer to wrench on it

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have done some of each... but like Snowmobileadict says, armed with a manual (or posts and how-to's), and this forum to ask questions, there is a lot you can do/figure out even if you aren't that mechanically inclined... just have to get over your fear and do it. Most of the things I have brought in were because I needed it done in a hurry for a trip or something I just didn't feel comfortable doing myself... When possible do the wrenching yourself I say... saves a lot of money and gives you a great sense of accomplishment I think.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I do some of my wrenching, really depends on the situation. I do 95% of my wrenching. If my sled isn't running and there is snow on the ground, the dealer gets it so it's repaired faster lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats the nice thing about 2 strokes.....only a couple of moving parts....and the rest of the sled chassis is simple. I do everything myself. This is going to change when we're all riding 4 stroke, 5 valve per cyl, variable cam timing, supercharged/turbocharged EFI sleds.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
I fix it myself. If I can't fix it, my local mechanic can...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can do the basics, but if it's something major, then I take it in.

The lead mechanic at my local dealer is family. I still pay the same rates but I know for a fact it's being done right.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i do some of it my self and then i take it to a shop or a dealership if its a problem with my computer or electronics oh and bedwet a dealership is where they sell snowmobiles duh

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Originally posted by BskidooC
[br]Labor costs to much
Id rather do it myself
Same unless i dont have the tools or the job is bigger then me..then i get my dads friend to fix it. and he is really cheep.

·
Registered
901 Posts
depends what it its, suspension and chassi work i do i, but motor work i send it to the dealer because i dont have much spare time to rebuild a motor in the winter, god damn basketball [B)]

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
anyone know where i can get a manuel for my particular sled? i cant find it at any stores..yet anyways any websites?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh yeah my self because a three hour fix these days costs almost $150 if not more

1 - 20 of 39 Posts