Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda dead in here I thought I'd start something up.
I race in the northwoods challenge terrainx. I'm going to try more snox this year but I love the cross-country style racing. I also race a drag/hillclimb in the spring every year. That one is a blast! I wish there were more hillclimbs around the midwest. Some of the ski resorts in WI. would make for some good events. I think they would have a real good turnout to.
Anybody else want to chime in? What do you race?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i dont race quite yet im hoping that next year or year after i get into amateur sno-x racing...i have always wanted too since i jumped on a sled...what an andrenaline rush ey?...but kinda hoping that i can next year or yr after who knows might become a good racer??

Duct tape the only real solution

GO BIG or GO HOME!!!!
TEAM TRICKY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b1scu1t14- What's stopping you from racing this year? The sooner you start the better you'll be. I wished I would have started a long time ago. There are alot of small races out there where you can try it out for just a one time entry fee. It only gets harder the older you get.

·
Registered
322 Posts
An idea? Maybe he can't afford it, just like me. I've wanted to race for a while, but there's no way I could afford it. But what I really wanna do is that Terrain X...cuz I'm really good on bumpy/windy trails...which is what that's like kinda ain't it? I think I'd be good at that, but I could probly only do like one race a year maybe...too far away.

Anyone know of any places in Michigan (possibly northern lower) that run cross country races? I'd love to do that so bad.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TerrainX is run on a lake. They set up cones all the way around the lake and you run laps. They're all 100 mile races and you start in flights of three. They take your start time and then the order you finished in and they figure your time. They are a blast to run and they have trail sport classes where anybody can run. Entry fees are really cheap and its a good way to see if you like it. Check out an issue of Snow Week magazine for the latest race schedules. I'm not sure if there is a circuit that is run in your area or not but it would be in that mag.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i wanna race snox, but not the sled or the funds to do it right now, i wanna try cross country too.....that would just kick ass cuz u arent goin over the same thing over and over again..

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah i dont think ill have a ahcnace with an ext 580 ive already started a fund for my self just putting awamy money little by little and i already have some sponsors tghat will sponsor me but that aint till next year

GO BIG or GO HOME!!!!
TEAM TRICKY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm telling you guys, it doesn't matter what you ride. All you need is a sled. You wont be all decked out like the factory guys but who cares. Track time is what matters. My first race I ran a 93 Storm SKS. A sled doesn't get much heavier than that. You should have seen the stares I got when I pulled to the line against all those 440s. I got my butt kicked but I got hooked on it.! The next year I bought a 600 XC, and now this year I'm getting a race 440 from polaris. I just think of how good I'd be if I started when I 15 or 16.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
right now i have a 2000 xcr 800 i use it ofr speed running. need to go to the next level and take it to isr legal limits of stock class. last year i ran it trail stock and did ok but it felt like a knife at a gun fight against the pros. hopefully over the next couple years i will get into grass drags as well. probably get another xcr specifically for racing and one for trail.
i had a very close friend try snow cross back in 98 they told him in trophy class it is just a bunch of weekend warriors not even real sled heads. he had high hopes and did ok but the weekend warriors turned out to be dirt bike racers getting winter practice in. at one race in kimball mn the guy that took third place it was his first day on a sled. he raced bike and his owners told him to race sled to keep in shape.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I thought that Terrain X was like cross country...not lake racing? Maybe I didn't understand it...explain it a little more maybe?

I'd really like to do cross country type racing...that's why I ask.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
21 Posts
I race on ashfalt! Let me tell you what a blast!! I sarted to race on ashfalt last year becouse there was no more grass drags in the area (northern Ontario). Ice drags are very rare. So we decided to try this new circut called "SHOW ME THE MONEY TOUR" whitch allowed us to race are sleds. Well away we whent. OUT WITH THE STUDS AND IN WITH THE SLICK! What an assome feelling! Did you ever think of racing your sled against a street bike? We did! We show up once at the track to race, and as registration came and whent, we were the only sled there. So they put us in the street bike class. Well to make a long storie short we won the class with a pro stock 600 against a yamaha R1. A day I will never forget

ONE THING AT A TIME

BOMBIEMAN

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, TerrainX is like cross-country racing but it is done on a lake. If there is not much snow then the track gets to be like a ice lemans course, just plain gas, then brake hard!. If there is alot of snow, you'll always have a shore line that drifts real bad. That part of the track gets to be like the worst trail you've ever been on. There is alot of suspension setup that comes into play. The laps are around 10 miles long and wherever the cones lead thats where you race. Slush, standing water, stumps, rocks and nasty moguls. Hardly any of it is run on land. The lake makes for a lot safer race. If you blow a corner there is no tree to worry about. The worst that could happen is you could roll your sled a few times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sorry but in my opinion i dont like asphalt racing or racing that they do on ovels..the snowmobiles just dont look right...just straight up hard core adrenalined rush sno-x is what its all about

GO BIG or GO HOME!!!!
TEAM TRICKY

·
Registered
502 Posts
I race cross country. Been doing it for about 7 years. Started at a small race and built up to full time. spend lots of money at it. I've won a few races. I won the Strathcona Cup twice, and I won the fan class at the Warroad 500 in 2001. I love racing and can't quit(I've tried) I'm only 24 but my body is feeling the abuse. It's early morning and my brain doesn't work yet so If this is incoherant please disregaard.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I grass drag in the fall and spring, and hillclimb a tiny bit in the spring. One ski resort opens up a couple hills for racing. One isn't really a hill climb but rather a bumpy drag strip taht is on an incline. Its more of a baby hill climb. Except for a few bumps one of which kicked my scrawny @$$ last year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Alright sounds cool. So they just set up like all the bumps turns and everything on the lake? Sounds cool to me. If I could find some cross country races nearby and I could afford them, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Rocket, what type of cross-country racing do you run? Have you ever run a TerrainX race? Are you going to run the new circuit, USCC?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have never run a terrain-x before. I was thinking of trying it last year, but didn't have the time, snow, or ambition. I like good old crosscountry. Through the woods down the ditch and across the lake.
I am going USCC this year. I know Pat pretty well from racing so I knew about it in advance and helped to get the word out. I hope it goes well and lots of people show up for it. I'm gonna run pro500 and probably run the 600 and open classes when I can. I got a really trick idea for the RX-1 we got, I'm gonna try get it to work and test and if it works I'll have it at Pine Lake. I don't think I can lose with that beast if I can get it to handle.
arne jr.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ive seen a terrain X race around here, not eral fun to watch as u can see the sleds for bout 30 secodns as they go by, then see them a mile across the lake...but enway....."the worse u can do is roll ur sled" ive seen a sled being pulled back in 2 peices from that race......seat was on one sled, and tunnel was not to be recognized on the sled...oh well.....looked like racin would be fun tho

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said that the worst that could happen is rolling your sled. I have also seen some pretty wicked crashes in TerrainX. But for the most part, it is safer tham most cross-country races out there. No trees, it's all pretty much side open. Hey, any racing is dangerous right? I do feel safer though running a race on a lake than through the woods or even trail-riding for that matter. Rocket, I'm glad to see somebody working to keep x-country alive! I emailed Pat and I'm hoping to make a USCC race this year, if schedules work out. It's true that TerrainX sucks for spectators, you can't possibly follow the race unless you know know everybody in it and where they left. To bad, because that makes it hard for the circuits to get sponsers. NWC (the sanction that puts on TerrainX) has added alot of SnoX events and I believe that this is the reason.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts