Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me now what you guys think about the indy storm 800s pros and cons good storys bad storys 94 body style

·
Registered
725 Posts
my dads buddy used to have one, I'm not sure the year but I know it was the agressive body style. Lots of power, but it was really heavy, and it handled like a frickin school bus. I had a chance to buy it for $1500 but I didnt for ^^those reasons. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I had a 94, loved the sled, was a blast, only issue I had was the springs were too heavy and you had to use champion 2880 plugs to lessen the fouling of them.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
there is a lot of potential there. the sled is a little heavy and slow stock form. but instead of spending 3000 or more dollars on a newer sled. you could stick 1000 dollars into the storm and have a real nice machine. a new adjustable rear shock would make a real difference in the ride quality. a new or newly used 1.25 track would make a huge help in the traction and braking department. spend a little money on gearing down to reduce top end. and then spend a little on clutching and jetting. and last off a mountain fit hood to take off a pile of weight. at that point you would have a real nice sled. if you ever get bored of the power. you can easily do some motor work and pipes. there wouldnt be an 800 twin to even think of keeping up with you then. then for next year you could find a used edge rear skid to put in it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I had a 95 Storm 800. It had about 3300 miles on it when I sold it. I did have a problem with fouling plugs if I wasn't constantly working the throttle but it ran great, always started for me, and never broke down on me. The only real problem I had with the sled was keeping the gas tank full. Seemed like every time I looked down, the needle was another quarter tank lower. Don't pass up any gas stations with this sled. If I remember correctly 60 miles and It was ready for a fill up.

It was a workout getting the thing to perform on the trails. Straight line pulls were fantastic, and the sound of a Triple/Triple at WOT is heart-pounding to say the least.

It was not the sled for me however. I'm a little more aggressive than most of the guys I ride with, and the heavy Storm wasn't up to the task. I love to hit jumps and pound the snowbanks. I'd break trailing arms, bottom out the 8" of rear travel every time I landed, and by the end of the day feel like I got ran over by the machine.

The guy I sold it to installed and extra-10 in the rear, upgraded to Fox shock all around, and slapped on some USI plastic skis and carbides. He is a pretty mellow trail rider, and for him it's a great sled.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 94 storm and true they are a heavy sled but it depends on how aggressive of a trail rider you are and what your intended purpose of the sled is, if your more of a trail rider than it might not be the best sled for you but still can be a good trail sled if you dont foul plugs, clutching and jetting are key as well as a a good setup suspension, my cousin and i both have one and they both run REALLY good, i was almost shocked at how hard they still pull. my cousins has 244 studs in it and you had better hang on when you take off on it, as said before a set of pipes and clutching and a good track with studs in it and you have yourself a strong running sled, mine always starts and has never let me down, plus i think they still look really good! if your more of a trail rider than i would suggest putting an xtra-10 suspension in it along with the front shocks and maybe new skis and it will be a pretty good trail sled, hope this helps ya, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I was never impressed by the Storm. IMO, they were too noseheavy and all they are good for is wide-open runs back and forth accross the lake.
I liked the way they sounded. They had a nice throaty growl to them, but Id take a 440 XCR or an XLT over a Storm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]I was never impressed by the Storm. IMO, they were too noseheavy and all they are good for is wide-open runs back and forth accross the lake.
I liked the way they sounded. They had a nice throaty growl to them, but Id take a 440 XCR or an XLT over a Storm.
yeah they are a little nose heavy but put studs in it and get it to hook up and you cant keep the nose down and the skis on the ground! haha but i will agree my xlt its also a 94 and its piped and clutched is still a much nicer trail sled than the storm is..but i love the power and the way it sounds! like i said it all depends on what your intended use of the sled is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts