Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 ZL600EFI and i was wondering what i should get for mods. I was thinking about reeds or exhaust or maybe a fuel chip. What do you think would be the best thing to buy for more power.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
All three! [;)]

I believe if you pipe an EFI you have to chip it as well. I could be wrong though. An aftermarket can doesn't make any noticeable difference, some say it even hurts the top end...

Reeds are a good performance booster, but if you pipe and chip it, you will see more of a gain.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
D&D pipe, chip, and clutch kit. That'll open it up significantly. If you want more power, replace the single pipe with twins.

It also depends on what you're looking to spend. If I remember right, the pipe, chip, and clutch are going to run you upwards of $600.

EDIT: Just thought I'd point out, for the fun of disprovement ( [;)] ), many people have found little gains in aftermarket reeds on a stock Cat EFI. If you have other mods, or plan on mods, they may be beneficial, but they are not really worth the money in a stock EFI.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]...
EDIT: Just thought I'd point out, for the fun of disprovement ( [;)] ), many people have found little gains in aftermarket reeds on a stock Cat EFI. If you have other mods, or plan on mods, they may be beneficial, but they are not really worth the money in a stock EFI.
Hence the reason I never claimed to be an expert on the EFI's. [:p]

Nice addition with the clutch kit btw...completely forgot about that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know what chip a 99 zl has, is it a square one cuz i havent got time to look at it yet. When ever i go to buy those parts im going to buy from D&D racing, but i was wondering if there was a place i might be able to buy the parts used or maybe cheaper. These are going to be my x-mas presents for myself. [:D]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind about that i found out its a circle chip, but i found this online, ZR / ZL 600 '99-'00 Pipe & Chip combo (115HP) 99-00combo6 $454.00...would that be a good deal for the money.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
That same combo ('Combo6') is actually cheaper straight from D&D themselves...only about $420. I'd say just go straight from their site, that's what I did, no regrets. www.ddracing.com

Oh, and if you pipe/chip it, you NEED to revamp the clutch. I personally went with the D&D Pipe clutch kit, but if you know what you're doing, you can clutch it yourself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasnt really sure if that was a twin pipe or a single so i imagin that is a single cuz on there website a twin is around 600 bucks alone. But is that combo a good deal for the price and can you feel the difference in the ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
By revamp I mean it needs to be clutched. Probably different springs, helix, and weights. If you don't know your way around the clutches too well, and don't know what to purchase, simply find a clutch kit and purchase that. If you go with the D&D products, I'd recommend the D&D clutch kit...it complements well.

And yes, you will feel a difference with the D&D products...or at least most people do (including myself).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts