Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my primary clutch has a high altitude spring in it (above 4000ft)and I am at about 600ft. What does this spring do and how does it effect my top speed, etc ?? should I change it out or is it helping me in some way??? Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
In general you change the spring and clutch weights to adjust for the loss of power at altitude. Because the air is thinner, the motor makes less power and the change is needed to keep the motor in the powerband. If you had a high altitude setup, I would think the clutch would be engaging at high RPM's though?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 90 Prowler, it has the red spring in the primary. It engages at just about 4000 rpms, maybe slightly lower, manual shows engagement should be at 3400-3600. I don't know about the other parts yet. I resently bought the sled so I don't know a lot about its past, but it came from a low altitude area. So what effect will this have on performance if I leave it alone??

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
it'll run lean, the engine at least!!! since high altitude air is thiner they should have leaned the carbs too. The spring makes the engine engage at a higher rpm because the power band is somewhat narrower. Get the jetting right and then run it to see how the spring feels when you ride it.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it increases engagement rpm and could slow down the upshift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts